Why become a member? ×

What bass body shapes & aesthetics do you dislike?

Wilco

There are only a few features I dislike really:

1. Pointy or overly large headstocks

2. Neck-dive (more ergonomic than aesthetic, admittedly)

3. Bongo. What were they thinking?

4. Buckeye burl

5. Literally everything about this monstrosity:

Bass_00504.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

There are only a few features I dislike really:

1. Pointy or overly large headstocks

2. Neck-dive (more ergonomic than aesthetic, admittedly)

3. Bongo. What were they thinking?

4. Buckeye burl

5. Literally everything about this monstrosity:

Bass_00504.jpg

I quite like those pickups and inlays. But the headstock, lobster claw lower horn and that door knocker - what on earth...

Single cuts

Gold hardware

Lurid stained wood

Unnecessary hardware ( pickup covers, thumb rests, pick guards )

Huge headstocks

Strangely, given my love of curvaceous waxed wood bodies I don't like wooden pickup covers and knobs either.

... But will put up with any of it if it sounds good.

On 31/01/2018 at 22:41, paul_5 said:

Never seen an Alembic that I liked the look of. I love Jazz basses though, and that’s pretty much it. Also if it’s got more knobs and/or switches than strings then I’m not interested, and we’re back to Alembic... 😉

What's not to love, jazz bass style and same number of knobs and switches as strings. . :-)
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

8 hours ago, NickA said:

Single cuts

Oh yeah - I'd missed that. Those single cut designs are utterly hideous. All the ones I have seen fail my "coffee table/exotic wood" criteria, but if one snuck through by having a plain painted finish I'd have to fail it on "single cut".

I don't like Warwick shapes but I do like Spector basses, so work that out. Maybe it's because I see Spector as the real thing and Warwick as the pale imitation.

But generally, if a bass isn't roughly J or P shaped, there could be a problem. I've never been convinced by T-Bird, Les Paul or singlecut shapes.

I like the concept of Ritter basses and looking at them as art, but I wouldn't want to own one.

Edited by discreet

Jazz basses. All of them: the real ones, and the 250 million copies, from SX to Alembic or Fodera. Nope.

Singlecuts are a sitting down bass to me. Oh, and yeah, the top horn on a Corvette - a non-playing mate said to me when I showed him my new Corvette "It looks like a nob" and, puerile and throwaway as the line was, I sold the bass a short while afterwards...I just couldn't unsee it...Bongos and bog seats are the same, unfortunately, because I've played a couple of Bongos, and really liked them... ¬¬:D

I'm sooooo shallow... :D

Edited by Muzz

4 hours ago, Muzz said:

Jazz basses. All of them: the real ones, and the 250 million copies, from SX to Alembic or Fodera. Nope.

Same here, but oddly enough the luthier I've been working with lately wanted nothing more than a decent Jazz Bass preamp that can fit under a stock control plate, so I guess I am learning to love them now!

4 hours ago, Muzz said:

Singlecuts are a sitting down bass to me.

I never got the appeal of singlecuts at all until I actually tried the right one. Last thing in the world I expected to ever own. I almost never play sitting down, but the SC I own balances superbly while standing and even though it's a 5, it's actually lighter than any 4s I've owned in the last few decades. I absolutely love the initial look on the old country players' faces when I bring it out to jams, but many of them have warmed up to the look and especially the sound in time. And yes, it's full hippie sandwich/coffee table, all the time. Wouldn't have it any other way...Yel_wink.gif

20 hours ago, jazzyvee said:

What's not to love, jazz bass style and same number of knobs and switches as strings. . :-)
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

With all due respect to Alembic (one time owner myself) these are just not right for me especially on the pickup placement department. Both the JJ and the PJ is really off for me.  Wonderful woodwork though (as pretty much always from Alembic) 

Haha I seem to have a bass for every dislike apart from single cut but as I used to own one of them  as well I will give you all a middle finger and say F**k you, you want boring buy boring, me I want buckeye burl roasted maple, gold hardware  and a generous portion of points!

Edited by DarkHeart
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DarkHeart said:

Haha I seem to have a bass for every dislike apart from single cut but as I used to own one of them  as well I will give you all a middle finger and say F**k you, you want boring buy boring, me I want buckeye burl roasted maple, gold hardware  and a generous portion of points!

I don't remember complaining about gold hardware...  :biggrin: