Why become a member? ×

What bass body shapes & aesthetics do you dislike?

Wilco

I really, really, reeeeeally dislike single-cut basses - I think they're utterly grotesque and should be destroyed with fire, but that's just my opinion (which is correct, I might add! ;) )  

I also dislike anything Beatle bass-shaped, all Rickenbackers, Thunderbirds, G&L's (simply because of the utterly ridiculous headstock) 

I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them right now...

:D

• Like 1

Hmmmm, interesting initial responses to date. After scanning through those, the early front runners on what we dislike appear to be (in no particular order);-

1) Single cut basses

2) Basses with exotic wood tops (eek - I've got one of those!)

3) Basses with pointy shaped bodies

4) Rickenbackers....

There are so many things I visually or for engineering reasons couldn't live with on so many of the world's most iconic and popular basses that I can quickly reduce my choice to just one or two contenders when choosing a new bass.

But that doesn't mean I have exotic tastes - in fact it's the opposite. 

But as in all things; the beauty of any bass is in the eye of the beholder and there are things that I love, such as plenty of real wood on show that others loathe with equal passion.:$

I say this as an owner of Les Paul, however I really don't like singlecut basses, particularly those 'exaggerated' boutique singlecut designs from Fodera and Sadowsky. To me it just makes the whole bass look unbalanced and looks like a waste of wood to me.

Beyond that I can appreciate pretty much anything. 

Ah, almost forgot. Not a fan of Musicmans with these round shaped scratchplates. Makes the bass look like a toilet:

22C0E46D-D8A8-4993-AEE6-C3C531643363.thumb.jpeg.a32b312d94a7a316c5832621a547a4d5.jpeg

but I absolutely LOVE Musicmans with this shape scratchplate:

C65F0C3F-01B9-42A6-B18A-FA73424B8CB6.thumb.jpeg.bc00c38e9f8b40ceda21b980751bacb8.jpeg

They’re both Stingrays, so is the purpose of the scratchplates just to differentiate between 4 string and 5 string versions? O.o

Also, contrary to what seems to be popular opinion, I really don’t mind Sandberg and G&L headstocks at all. Quite enjoy the variety vs standard Fender-esque designs. Not a great deal of love for the Sire headstock though...but I wouldn’t let it prevent me from buying a Sire if it was the right bass in every other way.

Being in my dotage :( - where the main consideration before buying any Bass is weight, then it has to be single cut jobbies - which in my humble opinion of course - is a totally unnecessary addition if weight :( and being a somewhat boring traditionalist - they are so damn ugly :(!!

Not overly convinced by anything with a headstock either, despite the aforementioned  traditionalism IMHO again they are another unnecessary addition of weight, plus the need to not have to twist a string ( that is essentially something that is designed and produced in a linear fashion ) around a tuner capstan, is something that  has always appealed to my engineering roots.

The totally out of character with the body Musicman pickguard and control plate which to my old eyes don't 'scan' with the beautifully designed Musicman body - dropped one there's Leo, despite cleverly shortening the headstock👍 Plus all other basses where the pickguard - ( the fitting of which should always be an option of course, considering the majority of players use their fingers )  does not 'scan' with the body shape - just for the sake of radicalism.

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

Ah, almost forgot. Not a fan of Musicmans with these round shaped scratchplates. Makes the bass look like a toilet:

22C0E46D-D8A8-4993-AEE6-C3C531643363.thumb.jpeg.a32b312d94a7a316c5832621a547a4d5.jpeg

but I absolutely LOVE Musicmans with this shape scratchplate:

C65F0C3F-01B9-42A6-B18A-FA73424B8CB6.thumb.jpeg.bc00c38e9f8b40ceda21b980751bacb8.jpeg

I'm totally of the other opinion - I really like the oval/round scratchplate of the 4's but not keen at all of the 'weird' scratchplate on the 5's! 

Teehee! :)