Why become a member? ×

What bass body shapes & aesthetics do you dislike?

Wilco

For me, I've never seen a Warwick or Spector body shape that I've liked, particularly some of the Warwick shapes like the Dolphin & Thumb. They look so fugly to me.

As far as finishes are concerned, I switch off when I see a 3TSB body together with a rosewood board. I had a Fender Deluxe like that not so long ago & the aesthetics was one of the reasons I got rid. Looks a bit old hat now, but not in a good way.

Now I appreciate these things are very much to personal tastes, but what turns you off a bass just by looking at it?

(ps; don't get me started on artificial relicing!! 😡😆)

Pretty much anything not a Fender, really xD. Joking aside I like Precisions, Jazzes, Rickenbackers and Gibson Thunderbird & Les Paul basses, other than that there aren`t many other shapes that I like. I`m a traditionalist I suppose, looking at that list. Colour wise, not that keen on red basses, and have never gelled with white scratch plates on Fenders, just too country looking for me, yee ha.

I'm a big Warwick fan, but I'm not particularly fond of the Corvette bodyshape. I love Streamers, Thumbs and Dolphins though!

And I generally dislike anything pointy (with the exception of some more classic shapes like the many Gibsons, Ibanez Iceman and Destroyer and the likes). Anything by BC Rich except for the Eagle and Mockingbird. 

I also really dislike any shape that should be curvy and round, but was given the flat top treatment like this:

251805-V9ALDER5BRS%20(6).JPG?w=680&h=680

Looks very uncomfortable, and it's not half as sexy as traditional Jazz Bass curves with contoured edges IMHO. I know it's supposed to be a visual upgrade, but to me it just looks cheap and unattractive.

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Pretty much anything not a Fender, really xD. Joking aside I like Precisions, Jazzes, Rickenbackers and Gibson Thunderbird & Les Paul basses, other than that there aren`t many other shapes that I like. I`m a traditionalist I suppose, looking at that list. Colour wise, not that keen on red basses, and have never gelled with white scratch plates on Fenders, just too country looking for me, yee ha.

Lol - yes. Similar list minus the Ricks & LP shapes (like the T-bird though), but plus the Stingray. I don't like natural wood finishes, anything that looks like a ridiculous coffee table or any fake relicing (which handily rules out almost all the really expensive basses).

Edited by nilebodgers

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Eventually every design in existence will have been slagged off in this thread...

4 hours ago, Spoombung said:

Exactly.

I would imagine so too, but it would be interesting to see if anything trends (& no, I don't work in product development for a manufacturer! 😆)

My ideal is a contoured natural finish. (Warwick Thumb is too rounded though)

So basses i don't go for would be anything too "vanilla" like a solid-tone painted finish or 3tSB.  Sharp edges are out - so no binding for me, and slab bodies.. forget that.

And no burl tops either. I like a body of a good looking piece of wood, no veneers and "tops". 

I like basses that are "different" so not a fan of Precisions, though I don't mind Jazzes. Not a fan of Ricks ( I think that they look like the designer went to lunch half way through and handed in the design even though it wasn't finished).

I like "modern" looking basses so headless, natural finishes, curvy and smooth flowing lines are all on my list of wants.

Seems that Lozz and I want completely different things from our gear - good thing really as I know he sells a few basses - I couldn't afford to buy everything he had for sale. :D

Edited by TheGreek