Why become a member? ×

G&L M2000 Tribute. Opinions?

jezzaboy

Has any one got or had one of these. I have gas for a G&L. Had a couple of L2000 Tributes but didn`t like the "chubby" neck.

Or better holding out for a s/hand US model of some description. Tried to do a search in the market place for a US model but couldn`t get any results. Ta.

I had one.  I liked it - the inbetweeny neck profile (neither Jazz nor Precision) felt very nice to me.  Also a lot simpler to operate - simply three band EQ, volume and blend.  I personally had no bother with the L-2000's plethora of options (nay I felt there weren't enough options so I added some!) but some people complain about it.

"Chubby" is a nice way of describing the Tribute L-2000's neck - it's more like a baseball bat sawn in half.  "Clubby" might be a better word ;) I had no issue with it though - I like a chunky neck better than a skinny one.

The sound of the M-2000 is smoother and possibly a little less capable of harshness/rudeness than the L-2000, more "modern" I guess.  Still sounded good though, despite the less options available.

Cheers Neep. I liked the L2000`s I owned but mostly ran it in passive mode, too many options for me. I agree with you re the L`s neck size/shape. I don`t mind a wide neck but it was to much of a handful for my dainty digits :D

The 3 band eq sounds just like what I`m looking for. 

I have an Empress wood l2k Usa made, under 8 lbs, maple neck with hsc. Tobacco sunburst, minty. Has to go! Let me know if interested. The l2k controls take a bit of getting used to but once you’ve done the course, it’s a doddle! M -series modern and more polite. Don’t know Tributes just USA stuff.

I had one. It's a great instrument, really capable three band EQ, fantastic neck, between P and J, satin finish. It does not sound like L2k at all though, if that is the sound you are after. It's just a brilliant two humbucker active 3band EQ versatile bass.