Why become a member? ×

The Chase Bliss Audio Pedals Thread

Al Krow

Chase Bliss Audio seem to be making some really good quality (but definitely not bargain basement!) gear.

They get mentioned on the forum from time to time, but I thought it would be good to get a thread going on Chase Bliss pedals and see what experience of them we have had, between us, for good or ill?

To get the ball rolling, here's a clip of their new Condor pedal introduced just ahead of NAMM 2018 - I'm intrigued! It has filter & tremolo (start), crunchy drive (0.12) and looks like being a pretty decent pre-amp to boot, together with a compact footprint and good design both of which are a trade mark of CBA pedals.

It can also be midi controlled to save your favourite settings, which is an awesome feature on an analogue pedal.

Yup, I'm tempted :)

On 01/02/2018 at 16:57, 0175westwood29 said:

Seriously wanting a thermae 

Hah! $499 (= £500?) for a delay pedal! But to be fair it's going head to head with the Empress EchoSystem on pricing which is only $50 less.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/namm-2018-chase-bliss-audio-reveals-thermae-pedal-a-radically-new-approach-to-analogue-delay-and-harmonisation

I guess my reaction is I could see this being used by guitarists / keys players - which is the market they appear to be primarily aimed at from their promo material. How would you see yourself using one of these on bass? Any clips of you using delay you can share?

That's also kinda a broader question about delay and bass 'cos I've been tempted to dip my toe into getting a decent delay pedal for a while, but never quite seen how I was going to be using it in a band context!

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Hah! $499 (= £500?) for a delay pedal! But to be fair it's going head to head with the Empress EchoSystem on pricing which is only $50 less.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/namm-2018-chase-bliss-audio-reveals-thermae-pedal-a-radically-new-approach-to-analogue-delay-and-harmonisation

I guess my reaction is I could see this being used by guitarists / keys players - which is the market they appear to be primarily aimed at from their promo material. How would you see yourself using one of these on bass? Any clips of you using delay you can share?

That's also kinda a broader question about delay and bass 'cos I've been tempted to dip my toe into getting a decent delay pedal for a while, but never quite seen how I was going to be using it in a band context!

id be thinking of using it in this band, its way more experimental than most but i bet theres a few sounds i could use in my more normal bands which are the other two links.

• Like 1

Ive found these pedals most alluring...but like most all pedals ive owned' ive ended up using them on One to Three settings only.... & most definately dont start messing with them mid-tune"...So for myself @ this price range" these are luxury items only!!!! Im sure they are great....But just too expensive.

Edited by paulo m

9 hours ago, paulo m said:

Ive found these pedals most alluring...but like most all pedals ive owned' ive end up using them on One to Three settings only.... & most definately dont start messing with them mid-tune"...So for myself @ this price range" these are luxury items only!!!! Im sure they are great....But just too expensive.

Well I use my warped vinyl in an always on, set and forget kind of way. The beauty is that it allowed me to set it just how I wanted it. Also, I've never played a nicer sounding chorus, whenever I play without it I sound all static.

It's become a key part of 'my sound', so for me it's worth the money. Even if buying a pedal with this much flexibility for just one setting might be a bit overkill.

4 hours ago, elephantgrey said:

Well I use my warped vinyl in an always on, set and forget kind of way. The beauty is that it allowed me to set it just how I wanted it. Also, I've never played a nicer sounding chorus, whenever I play without it I sound all static.

It's become a key part of 'my sound', so for me it's worth the money. Even if buying a pedal with this much flexibility for just one setting might be a bit overkill.

Anything that becomes such an important part of your 'sound' and is 'always on' pretty rapidly justifies getting! 

Be interesting to hear what setting you've got it on and what your bass sounds like with and without it on?

All of this thread about these beautifully crafted pedals is justifyed..in its own way'  An always on pedal is for myself...is Compression' or an Exciter of some kind..i.e  Aural Expander....But definately not chorus.                                 I use a TC electronic Dreamscape pedal for those type of " fast vibrato' chorus'  effects.. Their " Toneprints" actually  which have superb ease of use sound's & i also use them on a fretless..Subtley" of course(  Not too much of anything)     Now my point about always on' is this...when the music doesnt require that saturated sound...meaning Lush' turn it off!!!!  for as we know  the 1980s bass sounds were swimming in chorus' & to my ears it can become too nasal..a sound'  repetitive.. tune to tune'  but if thats your bag' use it!!                                 I personally dont see that sound continuously in a function band situation' or even a motown or stax one. But the Chase Bliss are superb' without reservation especially the warped vinyl...Now if i can just find a gorgeous Warped Woman to buy me One!!😉.

2 hours ago, paulo m said:

All of this thread about these beautifully crafted pedals is justifyed..in its own way'  An always on pedal is for myself...is Compression' or an Exciter of some kind..i.e  Aural Expander....But definately not chorus.                                 I use a TC electronic Dreamscape pedal for those type of " fast vibrato' chorus'  effects.. Their " Toneprints" actually  which have superb ease of use sound's & i also use them on a fretless..Subtley" of course(  Not too much of anything)     Now my point about always on' is this...when the music doesnt require that saturated sound...meaning Lush' turn it off!!!!  for as we know  the 1980s bass sounds were swimming in chorus' & to my ears it can become too nasal..a sound'  repetitive.. tune to tune'  but if thats your bag' use it!!                                 I personally dont see that sound continuously in a function band situation' or even a motown or stax one. But the Chase Bliss are superb' without reservation especially the warped vinyl...Now if i can just find a gorgeous Warped Woman to buy me One!!😉.

I do use mine quite subtly, rate synced to 1/4, mix and depth both pretty low, first half sine, second triangle shifted over to the right.

3 hours ago, paulo m said:

If you use the chorus with a lower mix it can act as a thickener with out that bad 80’s sound 

i need to sort my moog out with midi so I can use it more 

I’ve had no complaints with the chase bliss stuff so far. 

The warped vinyl was great but I moved it on as I wasn’t using it in the band at the time. The chorus was good but not a match for the clusterflux. (Nothing is, although the Anadime bass chorus is pretty close)

after discovering I was more drawn to trem  than vibe I swapped to a Gravitas. The harmonic element is less apparent on bass but the control of the trem parameters is excellent. More choppy than an EQD hummingbird if required. Easy baritone style terms, it can be used as a jfet boost too. Volume control, gain control, tone control so you can actually set it for bass use. Presets!  Tap tempo, expression control. That’s without getting into the ramping features. 

The Brothers is another cool one. 2 boosts, 2 drives, 2 fuzzes all in series or parallel. The IC boost channel is lovely on bass, adds a nice tone to your bass. The drives I was less keen on as they seem more voiced for guitar. The fuzzes are good. It seems to have a particular sound and it works pretty good as a bass pedal but I just found it lacking in bass at times so moved it one. I think some could get good use from one. 

The tonal recall has many fans, Ive not tried one as the EAR and hungry robot Wash have me covered. The new ones look pretty interesting but I acknowledge £500 gets to a special place of ridiculousness for most people. 

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I picked up a Wombtone MkII at the weekend at my local shop and am loving it. It has a lot of the versatility of the Moogerfooger as regards use with expression but it takes it further by being able to control multiple parameters and sweep directions from one expression pedal. It really has the best of both worlds by having fat, analogue sound, a live settings mode and presets. If they were to make an analogue octave/fuzz combo and a dedicated filter I’d be buying them. 

• Like 1