Why become a member? ×

SOLD PRE EB CUTLASS I with flightcase
£2900

drewk_ie

After much deliberation (had this for sale a while back but withdrew) I've decided it's time for me to let go of my uber rare '84 Musicman Cutlass I fretless bass, I can't justify having two pre Ernie ball fretlesses!

Modulus graphite neck, black, 2 band EQ/Preamp, three way switch installed for phase reverse/ tap coil (similar to my Cutlass II), pickup has been upgraded to a Bartonili. String through body and three bolt neck plate. 

Lovely to play, full of that mwah that you would expect from any Pre Ernie ball fretless bass, notes resonate on and on and on ....

Bass will be sold with flight case. 

Price includes shipping to anywhere in Europe, but collection is always preferred! 

Please feel free to PM with any other questions.

Thanks for looking. 

Edited by drewk_ie
Sold

Hi mate, have you resolved the originality issue, factory fretless or defret? I am interested and have the funds, but most sources I’ve read since seeing your original listing suggest this is the latter? It may not be a deal breaker but some info would be useful. 

Cheers

Chris 

What's interesting is that the nut on mine is gold also, whereas the nut on my Cutlass I fretted is black. 

4 hours ago, matski said:

I'm pretty sure the original factory fretless Cutlasses were unmarked (see attached photos), but I could be wrong...

fkigk9dyscx6gcnokiuw.jpg

tk8zr9hkbnrkky2d78n6.jpg

9 hours ago, matski said:

I'm pretty sure the original factory fretless Cutlasses were unmarked (see attached photos), but I could be wrong...

fkigk9dyscx6gcnokiuw.jpg

tk8zr9hkbnrkky2d78n6.jpg

That was my impression also. Having done a lot of homework on this bass - mostly because I was seriously interested in buying it - the previous owner/dealer in the USA clearly identified it as having been 'converted to fretless'. It's possible they were wrong, but it would be a very odd thing to say if it weren't true given they were trying to sell the bass at the time. I doubt it makes any real difference if it was professionally done, and I'd still love this bass alongside my '77 Ray