Why become a member? ×

Combo help / assistance req'd

bassintheface

Hello all,

im after a bit of assistance....

my rig is an aguilar TH500 and 2 x SL112 cabs, which are flightcased and stored in a studio where we rent a storage room.

although the SL's are super lightweight, being kept in the flightcases mean that whilst they're kept safe and  blemish free, to move them becomes a bit arkward and annoying!

when going to gigs with the main function band and blues band, we take the band transit splitter van so that's easy enough.

id just like an additional set up which I can move easily in the car when depping or doing smaller gigs etc., so Im on the hunt for a decent quality combo (under £700 and ideally around £500 if possible)  which I can keep at home for home use, chuck in the car and use for smaller gigs (where I can't be arsed loading the flight asked cabs etc) and for simple rehearsals.

i have considered using my head wth a Barefaced 10 but not sure it'll give me enough 'volume' and sound.

any suggestions?

Cheers.

Edited by bassintheface

Why not get a decent (HotCovers, for example) padded sleeve for one of the cabs so you can take just one for smaller jobs. As you say, they are light when not in flightcases, so it seems a BF 1x10 or a new combo will be an expensive way of duplicating what you already have.

Good point but also, it's the flexibility of having something at home so essentially I have a rig stored at the studio for gigs, plus then I have something for home practise, plus then I can chuck it in the car for doing any other smaller gigs or selling jobs without having to go to the studio 

Two pals have the Markbass 1x12 combo and are both happy with them. They turn up used quite regularly. I like them and nearly bought one, but found one cab plus my AG700 head was virtually as compact/easy to carry about, hence my suggestion.

Someone (nobody I know) is selling a BF Midget T in the market place for £300. That's a small, light (20lb odd) cab with plenty of poke you could use with your TH. Should be fine for smaller jobs, etc.

Edited by Dan Dare

The Markbass CMD121P has plenty enough volume for smaller gigs and rehearsals, however I think the better option would be a small cab so you can keep your sound by using your TH500 with it. Having heard the current crop of Barefaced cabs I`d go for a Super Midget if possible, I was really impressed with it when heard an array of them. All were great, but the SM just "spoke" to me.