Why become a member? ×

Rig help

Stealth

I have tried lots af gear but never quite got there!

im playing 70s classic rock and upbeat original guitar heavy blues (2 bands) loud drummers 2 guitars in both 

i use an old 77 p bass and a std newish jazz

Venue wise it’s pubs and clubs usually without pa support and a few bigger dates usually DI 

The sound in my head is a plummy punch with a touch of hard edge I suppose you could call it grit

im thinking Down in a tube station at midnight and some foos stuff where the bass is soloed 

light is good as I’m an old git but wheels work to lol

i have chorus’s comp and ace of spades covered with a TC Nova 

The wife’s ultimatum  is “spend what you like but your not changing it again”

Help ........

Edited by Stealth

Difficult one trying to recommend a rig for some else .. I tried loads of setups but find it hard to justify having expensive gear when only playing in small venues / pubs etc.

Part of my issue is worrying about it getting stolen or trashed so I've gone back to a simple setup :

GK 400RB

Bagend D12-D

J&D jazz bass (modded)

Warmoth jazz bass

No pedals anymore so 'grit' comes from cranking the amp & 'riding the GK rails' one of the best grind sounds I've heard (my alternative would be using Darkglass B7K or similar), Bagend cab is heavy so no one is going to run away with it lol but I may go lighter (Barefaced) if we gig more, jazz basses just work for me so a cheap modded one is ideal plus a nicer one for home / recording & certain gigs.

I was saving for an expensive amp but just couldn't justify it .. In your case 'Stealth' I'd consider either  the new Darkglass 500 with a good 4 ohm cab if that's the kind if grit you like or get the quietest (hiss free) amp (I'd go Glockenklang) & find a dirt pedal you like ... hope some of this helps :)

Edited by sifi2112

For that sound the Ashdown RM range of amp heads would be ideal. Bruce Foxton and Nate Mendel both use Ashdowns anyway, and having had the RM amps they can do the sounds specified spot on. On much larger stages there is a bit of a difference between the RM & ABM range but for regular pub/club gigs I`m not sure it would be noticed.

Edit - butof course the ABM from Ashdown will fit the bill, as that`s specifically what both BF & NM use. Aiming for their type of sound, makes sense to me to use similar gear. You`re there with the Precision, grab the Ashdown and you`re sorted.

Edited by Lozz196

As above, it’s an Ashdown you need. I’ve had a couple and they’ll do exactly that fat plummy and a bit of grit sound.

If you want a bit more definition and mid then go for the ABM600, it’s less whumpy than the 500. 

If you're playing "70s classic rock and upbeat original guitar heavy blues with loud drummers and guitar players", you'll need to shift some air. That old school tone needs to sound effortless to ring true. A 2x10, even one of the best, just won't cut it, whatever anyone claims. Unless your budget is substantial, you simply can't achieve it with compact, lightweight kit. You don't need to schlep an 8x10. Several smaller cabs will do the same job and be easier on the back.  I agree with suggestions above for Ashdown amplification, to which I'd add or anything old(er) school, but you'll have to accept it will not be that light. There is plenty of gear from the likes of Peavey, Ampeg, Laney et al being sold off cheaply these days. Peavey 4x10 cabs, for example, are heavy but sound great. Probably the best way to get that big old school sound is to use a preamp and pick up a used PA power amp, which will drive multiple cabs happily. Something decent, such as a QSC, shouldn't cost you more than £200 (for an amp that would have been many times that a few years back). Above all, visit a well-stocked shop and try stuff out. Don't buy on the basis of recommendation alone.

Thanks All

Its seems Ashdown came up most so musing over the website I was looking at the RM 410 cabs light decent power handling but why a 410 & 414 which looked identical ? So i filled in the online customer service request form to ask. Four minutes later I got a personal email from Mark Gooday explaining one 4 Ohm ones 8 Ohm. on  Sunday thats impressive customer service. so RM 410 with a Rootmaster/ABM or CTM 100 even all in budget. 

For old school I can highly recommend the CTM100.

I found my Barefaced BB2 really didn't work well for the sound I wanted so moved it on,I think you will need a 4x10 to get the sound you're wanting.

I tried several cabs at gear4music & settled on a Fender bassman neo 410,it suits me perfectly + comes with wheels too which my old arthritic knees like.

Edited by artisan

For old school 70's rock etc I'd say you need to go for a good 2x12. Get yourself a used Genz Benz Neo 2x12, a decent lightweight but powerful head and a Sansamp or Darkglass pedal (e.g. B3K/B7K) and you'll be sorted....