Why become a member? ×

yamaha bb414 vs RBX170 vsRBX370a vs RBX760a

dustibinns

Hi @dustibinns welcome to Basschat!

I love Yammy P basses but I suspect, like a number of us, am struggling to provide a comparison not having owned the models you've suggested (I've very recently got a 1025 and previously had a 425).

You're correct that the higher model numbers in a particular Yammy range imply a higher spec (and higher new price) so 2024 > 1024 > 424 etc.

Out of interest how have you decided on your choices and not e.g. a more modern 424 (which would be an excellent workhorse bass)? I've seen a number of the models you're suggesting recently come up on eBay, which I'm guessing may be behind your selection? I think if you can pick up one of these for a good price (and with a decent neck and electronics, always good to see if you can try before you buy with an older bass) you're not going to go too far wrong; and if you don't get on with it you should be able to move it on without suffering much, if any, loss.

Edited by Al Krow

thanks Al Krow :) :) ... yes ebay driven.Well that and chat on here and elsewhere praising the quality and playability of these yamahas obvs coupled with the resonable prices compared to other brands!

does that highrer number better spec rule apply when the last diget is lower eg 270 760??

thanks again :)

4 minutes ago, dustibinns said:

thanks Al Krow :) :) ... yes ebay driven.Well that and chat on here and elsewhere praising the quality and playability of these yamahas obvs coupled with the resonable prices compared to other brands!

does that highrer number better spec rule apply when the last diget is lower eg 270 760??

thanks again :)

The 760A is a four string and A = active and the 765A is a five string active etc.

I think an equally important question for you is what sort of bass are you after P or J? Yammy are famous for their P bass set up which e.g. the BB414 is very much, with its split coil pups whereas the 760A has soap bar pups - this will have a significant impact on how the basses sound. 

The 414 on eBay does look good and is on at a decent price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Bb414-Bass/173082819737?hash=item284c8a3c99:g:Y~cAAOSwBp9aUnNo

If you can get a chance to try before you buy then even better - with used basses I'd always recommend checking you're getting a straight neck with no warping or twisting and that the electrics are all working well (as well as decent pics of any wear and tear). You could drop any of the guys selling a message and ask them to confirm both points in advance.

Hope you get find something you like! 

What are you currently playing?

Thanks again!

I hadnt noticed the 760a was a j pup I was looking at buying one today for very reasonable dough, but I decided to go with a BB404 [ to a large extent because they are  passive plus distance for collection]   

I am playing a BC Rich Mockingbird  Which I came accoss and bought ages ago when I wasnt really playing bass, thinking I'd get back into it again at some point, Which I now have! :) I had tried a custom built one 30years ago when I was in a band and it had always stayed with me how much easier to play it was than whatever I was playing at the time. I hadn't even heard of P and Jazz then. I dont understand what the hell is going on with the controll nobs and setting up the sound is always a bit random and unsatisfactory. I think I would prefer a passive with nobs I understand! The way the B C Rich hangs down is unpleasant too. :/

TBH Im not that good and still looking to find 'my sound' I am now thinking Maybe buying two bases, P and J, and experimenting with both for a while might be the way forward. So 2 Yamahas would be afordable and hopefully help towards both bases of a similar quality so as not to confuse the experiment.

Many thanks

Nothing wrong with a good passive bass! I actually play my active basses in passive mode a fair bit of the time - there's something a little more 'natural' about the tone. And if you get back into things with two affordable Yammy basses, well you could be doing far worse.

Enjoy the BB404!

Cheers, Al

Hey Dusti - I've not owned either so can't really comment on their relative quality (or how easy they will be for you to play); but they both seem to be 'budget' Yammys so the quality of the pups and finish is not going to be as good as some of the higher end models.

The 370a, from what I can glean from the internet, is active ONLY i.e. no ability to play in passive; so if you want a passive bass then the BB404 is the one to go for.

If you could stretch another £50 or so, I'd say get neither(!) and pick up a BB414 instead :) This is the precursor model to the BB424, so I think this should be a really good P-bass and one that I would be happy to get myself (I had a BB425), and which for me is always the acid test when making a recommendation!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Yamaha RBX270, great for what I paid for it, but very modern and zingy. Weighs nothing.

The RBX170 is absolute bottom of the range, great on a budget but not much else. The 370a has active circuitry but is otherwise a 270 in build. The 760a IIRC has figured wood, translucent finish, gold hardware etc and was basically top of the RBX range at the time.

The BB is a different beast entirely and the very old and very new ones are much more classic in design and style. For a time they went to a more modern style, before heading back towards the slightly more fendery design they are today.