Why become a member? ×

The Soul, Funk and Groove thread.. Pete Academy's original thread part 2.

bubinga5

3 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Mother Father Sister Brother. Gamble and Huff production. 

Thank you very much. I will have a good mooch for some of their music. Keep posting your suggestions please and I will see what I can dredge up from the memory banks. 😀

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Rather a high standard of busking it in Auckland 😎

I am not 100% sure but the drummer might be a guy called Dylan Elise who has posted loads of street busking vids previously. He has some serious chops. His is also a highly rated seasoned touring pro. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

Lots of "clever" stuff going on here guys but I need some melody in my life..Nile Rogers is def the owner of the magic sauce...love playing along to this.😉

Kind of agree with that sentiment. Not knocking those posts - very nice grooves, very nice playing, but yes, a strong song/melody will always win the day for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greavesbass said:

Never that fussed about Odyssey but IMO Chic's classic era for others is equal to their own tunes , Certainly have never had much time for Diana Ross' vocals and diva personality but this is a stone cold classic

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Never that fussed about Odyssey but IMO Chic's classic era for others is equal to their own tunes , Certainly have never had much time for Diana Ross' vocals and diva personality but this is a stone cold classic

That whole album “Diana” is brilliant. The deluxe version has the original Chic mixes too. Well worth listening to. 

4 hours ago, greavesbass said:

That Sheila & B. Devotion record is one of my all time faves 👍 I bought the single when it was released (as an 11 year old disco fan) and still love it now. The album has some great Nile Rodgers business on it.

That Diana Ross album is a belter as well. Nile and co also did the magic for a Johnny Mathis album around the same time but it didn’t get released until a couple of years ago. I realise I’m gonna be in the minority here but “I Love My Lady” is great. 

The kick drum and percussion and bass on this are ace!