Why become a member? ×

The Soul, Funk and Groove thread.. Pete Academy's original thread part 2.

bubinga5

On 28/09/2018 at 16:21, PJ-Bassist said:

New Turkuaz album released today.

The drummer has clearly been raiding my wardrobe.

i haddnt heard of this band, when i checked them out i really liked them!....... until i found this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5MXlAAsRVY

Now i absolutely LOVE them!!!!!! thanks

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GisserD said:

i haddnt heard of this band, when i checked them out i really liked them!....... until i found this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5MXlAAsRVY

Now i absolutely LOVE them!!!!!! thanks

I only found about these guys recently when browsing through the history of this thread, I think it was that exact YT video that turned me on to them!

If anyone is remotely interested here is Mister Super Juice's debut E.P entitled Produce The Juice, we bill ourselves as Cinematic Funk (Lalo Schifrin / Roy Budd inspired in a big way):-

https://mistersuperjuice.bandcamp.com/releases

These tracks are more from the second set of the night (first set would be darker, mellower and a fair bit jazzier than these are).

Be interested to hear if anyone digs it at all :D.

All the best,

Si

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Have you any YT clips?

Not of us pretending we are playing along to the EP, no :D

But if you can bear to watch my ugly mug (and if you have the sheer stamina to get to the end of it) here is a little glimpse of us in The Jenny Lind in Hastings. Soundwise its just a capture with a Zoom H4n out front, so the sound is not at all special, but you get a hint of what we are about anyway, last track of the night this one (3rd track on the EP), it either goes very well, or not so much, this version was not too shabby I think, plus after some of the footage was from out front rather than the dodgy fake go-pro the perc player always brings to a gig. Cinematic Funk then, see if you dig it....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 51m0n said:

Not of us pretending we are playing along to the EP, no :D

But if you can bear to watch my ugly mug (and if you have the sheer stamina to get to the end of it) here is a little glimpse of us in The Jenny Lind in Hastings. Soundwise its just a capture with a Zoom H4n out front, so the sound is not at all special, but you get a hint of what we are about anyway, last track of the night this one (3rd track on the EP), it either goes very well, or not so much, this version was not too shabby I think, plus after some of the footage was from out front rather than the dodgy fake go-pro the perc player always brings to a gig. Cinematic Funk then, see if you dig it....

I enjoyed this - this is the sort of band I'd love to play with.  I'll definitely check out the EP!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PJ-Bassist said:

I enjoyed this - this is the sort of band I'd love to play with.  I'll definitely check out the EP!

I am not giving up my place in the band 😉

Took me 10 years to get the right people together to make this band work. For some reason people cant seem to get their heads round the concept of 45 minute long pieces of instrumental funky mysic live in a pub: until they hear it done ☺

15 minutes ago, 51m0n said:

I am not giving up my place in the band 😉

Took me 10 years to get the right people together to make this band work. For some reason people cant seem to get their heads round the concept of 45 minute long pieces of instrumental funky mysic live in a pub: until they hear it done ☺

ha, well if you ever need someone to dep for you, hit me up!

Where do you guys play normally?

3 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

ha, well if you ever need someone to dep for you, hit me up!

Where do you guys play normally?

South Coast anywhere from Worthing to Hastings, maybe Rye even, very occasionally we get up to London...

Edited by 51m0n
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 51m0n said:

Cinematic Funk then, see if you dig it....

Dug it.

Nobody did that at any of the music pubs I went to but then I didn't get out all that often.  I had a sheltered upbringing.  May I ask why it's called cinematic funk?

I like it.  Looks like I wasn't the only one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

Dug it.

Nobody did that at any of the music pubs I went to but then I didn't get out all that often.  I had a sheltered upbringing.  May I ask why it's called cinematic funk?

I like it.  Looks like I wasn't the only one.

Well now that is a good question...

Its main influences are the work of Lalo Schifrin (Mission Impossible, Enter The Dragon, Bullitt, all the Dirty Harry movies), Roy Budd (Get Carter, The Black Windmill, The Marseille Contract) and then more obvious stuff like Shaft and Superfly.

What you have seen in the video and or heard on the E.P is a tiny slice of what makes it feel like soundtrack music, there are light motifs throughout both sets that are repeated throughout, in entirely different tracks, and sets. So we kind of have characters that different instruments reference back to at different times.

The point we knew we had got this idea right was when people were telling us they had heard our stuff somewhere else before but what was actually happening was they were remembering one of our melodies from 40 minutes ago played by a completely different instrument 😆.

You also havent seen our opening Suite, a 45 to 50 minute funk soundtrack which starts with bass alone as quietly as I can play it, and builds and builds moving through 6 pieces all without stopping for more than a moment. If you are on Arsebook someone posted 17 minutes of it here ☺ from a recent gig:-

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2242724185761391&id=588604131173413&fs=5&focus_composer=0

Not sure if that link will work!

The last track on the E.P is the final part of that Suite.

Anyway I needed a name for this madness and came up with Cinematic Funk, so that is what it is 😅

Edited by 51m0n
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, 51m0n said:

Its main influences are the work of Lalo Schifrin (Mission Impossible, Enter The Dragon, Bullitt, all the Dirty Harry movies), Roy Budd (Get Carter, The Black Windmill, The Marseille Contract) and then more obvious stuff like Shaft and Superfly.

25 minutes ago, 51m0n said:

Anyway I needed a name for this madness and came up with Cinematic Funk, so that is what it is 😅

Works for me.

• Like 1