Why become a member? ×

The Soul, Funk and Groove thread.. Pete Academy's original thread part 2.

bubinga5

15 hours ago, TheGreek said:

A YT mix playlist....

1. Superstition – Stevie Wonder 2. Word Up – Cameo 3. Brick House – The Commodores 4. Super Freak – Rick James 5. Atomic Dog – George Clinton 6. The Payback – James Brown 7. The Low Rider – War 8. Flashlight – Parliament 9. I’ll Take You There – The Staple Singers 10. Papa Was a Rolling Stone – The Temptations 11. Jungle Boogie – Kool & the Gang 12. (Not sure) 13. Play That Funky Music – Wild Cherry 14. Dazz – Brick 15. Pick Up the Pieces – Average White Band 16. Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) – Sly and the Family Stone 17. Little Red Corvette – Prince 18. Theme from Shaft – Isaac Hayes 19. When Doves Cry – Prince 20. Hollywood Swinging – Kool & the Gang 21. Family Affair – Sly and the Family Stone 22. Get Up – James Brown 23. Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag – James Brown 24. Give up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucker) – Parliament 25. You Sexy Thing (I Believe in Miracles) – Hot Chocolate 26. (Not sure) 27. Superfly – Curtis Mayfield 28. Higher Ground – Stevie Wonder 29. War – Edwin Starr 30. One Nation Under a Groove – Funkadelic 31. Kiss – Prince 32. Shining Star – Earth, Wind & Fire

That's as close as anything I've seen for a definitive classic funk comp though I'd swap the two Prince songs for summat like Saturday Night or Getaway by EW&F,  Galaxy by War, or I wanna take you higher by Sly ATFS

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Viz Prince does anyone here think of him as funk? OK he did some outright funk on his earlier albums but from Purple Rain his output was too eclectic what with rockers, pop, ballads,..

I think of him as the man who made a Honda 250 with full fairing look like a full dress Gold Wing.

Pop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/05/2018 at 09:53, Barking Spiders said:

Viz Prince does anyone here think of him as funk? OK he did some outright funk on his earlier albums but from Purple Rain his output was too eclectic what with rockers, pop, ballads,.. 

I don't even know where to begin, you might find some of it bordering on rock, RnB orJazz but the funk is a core element with the purple one.

Try the following: Dear Mr. Man, Stare, Let's Work, Musicology, Sticky Like Glue, Black Sweat, Here Eye Come.

Stunning thread (opened my eyes and ears to new avenues), thank you to all, nobody's posted anything bad.

I'll just leave this here.

If funk had a face, it'd be Bernie's. From about 7,20 on this vid... (ps, I've never seen a bass player lick his fingers to play either... his own fingers I mean, cos licking Bernie's would be a whole new chapter).

BernieW.jpg.35d2bfef9c3a3e5043111b84d75b80ef.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MisterT said:

If funk had a face, it'd be Bernie's. From about 7,20 on this vid... (ps, I've never seen a bass player lick his fingers to play either... his own fingers I mean, cos licking Bernie's would be a whole new chapter).

To quote from an original lyric of Mr Bowie's; that is indeed a funky little boat race.

Not being one for finger food, I have overlooked the latter half of your comment for my sanity's sake.

Edited by SpondonBassed

5 hours ago, MisterT said:

Really enjoyed this. The bassist kicks his filter pedal on to engage it for the high notes and then off again when he's returning to the low notes.

Is there an easy way of setting up your board so that the filter only 'kicks in' for the high notes. I think most filters can be attuned for sensitivity i.e. how how hard you're digging in but I've not come across any that have a pitch cut off?

PS I'm going to need to spend some quality time on this thread, I can see there are some great clips posted here! 

Edited by Al Krow