Why become a member? ×

The Soul, Funk and Groove thread.. Pete Academy's original thread part 2.

bubinga5

5 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I play drums too and Mike Clark is def among my top 10, muchly to do with his incredibly funky playing on this cracker

That whole 'Survival of the Fittest' album is a bit of an unknown classic, I listen to it and wonder why it never makes the all time greats lists.

I only discovered it a couple of years ago.

Edited by Cato

10 hours ago, Cato said:

That whole 'Survival of the Fittest' album is a bit of an unknown classic, I listen to it and wonder why it never makes the all time greats lists.

I only discovered it a couple of years ago.

Yep, I actually prefer it to  Headhunters and for my money def one of the top 5 jazz funk albums I've heard and that's many. On the subject of jazz funk one of the best combos from the 70s here with this  mighty, monolithic slab of bonecrunching funk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickyk said:

Great choice although it's not funk or soul or Groove it's Northern Soul ask any Wigan Fan.

That's a nice 1966 Motown track, complete with overdriven bass - too bad the first picture of the Funk Brothers in the montage shows a picture of an LA studio session with Carole Kaye in prominent view........ 

On 27/01/2018 at 07:56, bubinga5 said:

Many years back I used to work on Devonshire street, around the corner from Radio London. Tony Blackburne was doing his record of the seem but the switchboard was broken so he said that the first 3 people to attend could be on the panel. 

I was the first.

This song was one of 3 songs to be judged.another was (iirc) Don't You sung be Central Line. Lastly was Eartha Kitt, where is my man. When i heard the Eartha Kitt song and was asked to comment i was somewhat uncomplimentary.

Tony Blackburn glared at me and then said "Well that' a shame because EartKitt is my special guest"

I was shown the door.....

• Like 1