Why become a member? ×

Power amp question for Markbass 210p and 115p

emyrarall

I'm using a Line 6 Pod Xt Pro (with bass pack) as a preamp, into an old STK PA poweramp. This is rated as 500W per channel at 4ohms or bridged as 1000W at 8ohms. I'm using this bridged into a 400W Markbass 210p (400W at 8ohms), and being very careful in keeping the volume down on the amp!

Sounds good at moderate volumes but doesn't maintain it's tone when playing with a band in a larger room. I'm thinking in terms of adding a Markbass 115p (400W at 8ohm) to push some more air. In parallel this would give me speaker capacity of 800W at 4ohms. Should I then only use one side of the power amp, so that I'd have 500W of power but the impedance is matched. Alternatively, could I throw 1KW at it regardless of the 8ohms rating of the bridged power amp? I understand that this could colour the sound?

If I really need to budget for a new power amp as well, then I need to keep filling the piggy bank for a little longer.

It's probably not a good idea to use 2 8Ohm cabs (total load of 4Ohm if you daisy chain them) on the bridged output - that will be looking for a minimum load of 8Ohm.

What you should do is put one 8Ohm speaker on each channel. It'll be louder because you'll be moving twice as much air, don't get hung up on 4 Ohm vs 8Ohm and this 'get the full power of the amp' nonsense.

If you like the sound of the 210p buy another one of those, instead of a 115p .

How old is the power amp and how expensive was it? Ratings for PA power amps, especially those at the budget end of the market, can be very optimistic. It may heat an 8 ohm resistor for a few milliseconds sufficiently for the output to be claimed to be 500wpc (does it claim RMS, or another rating, such as "music"?), but in reality, a complex music signal can leave a lot of power amps running out of breath, usually because the power supplies aren't up to delivering sufficient current. The fact that you say it doesn't "maintain its tone" when pushed would suggest to me that it is running out of steam. Before investing in an extra cab', I'd get the power amp checked over. MB 2x10 cabs can give a surprising amount of wellie when driven right. If the amp won't drive one cab adequately, it will certainly struggle with two. You may need to upgrade amplification to gain any real benefit.

Used PA power amps are stupid cheap these days. I sold my QSC 1602 for £200 and you won't really find a better amp anywhere in the world. If the second cab doesn't get you what you want, maybe a better amp (or both!) would get you there.

• Like 1

The amp is the now discontinued STK VS10 and I strongly suspect that it's a bit of a dog. Thanks for all the advice which was pretty much in line with my own thinking. Guess I need to borrow a good power amp first, to see how much difference that makes. Cheers!

The amp might be the problem but whether the amp is good or not, IMO your cab is the weakest link in this rig. You need to move more air and the Traveller cab is just too small to do enough in that department. If you want to stay with Mark Bass get an MB Standard 102 HF to daisy chain with this cab and see what the amp does then. I'd stick with 10's and run 2 cabs for a better focussed sound and maybe try using the amp in stereo rather than bridged.

I wonder what made you go down this unusual route with your bass gear.

Realistically the 102P cannot put out 400 watts. It will probably reach its maximum volume at less than 200 watts.

There is a Barefaced Super Compact (gen3) in the classifieds for £450. That cab would cover more than an MB Traveller 210 and the proposed 115 can do.

12 minutes ago, Stealth said:

. . . .  it depend on the question we all forgot to ask !

I think the OP has covered that. His problem occurs at higher volume levels.

The power of the amp is irrelevant. The Traveller is OK at low volume and runs out of power when volume is turned up. That is what you'd expect with a cab that is basically under powered because it is too small to work on its own at high volume.

Two cabs would be one answer (but IMO probably not the 115 that the OP is looking at).

In reply to Chris, the reason I have this set up is that I already had the POD XT in my studio, and the power amp with a PA I bought for some other work. Buying the 210p was a quick and relatively cheap way of stepping up from a 150watt peavey combo. Down the line I reckon a two cab set up would be a good way of being able to respond to differing requirements, but a good power amp seems to be the only way of being sure that you're getting the best out of them.

Appreciate all the opinions.

• 1 month later...

Ended up buying a second 210p. A big improvement and enjoy stacking them vertically 'on end'. Very practical on a small stage, and I can help the drummer out by turning one cab to face him if necessary. Still need to sort out some amplification. Which of the tc electronics heads would be the best match for these cabs?

Is the 102 a Traveller or Standard?

Any of the TC RH heads would fit on a vertical Traveller, any TC head would fit on the Standard.  

Another suggestion is to look at the Markbass amps.  I got a great sound with the LMII.

2 hours ago, xgsjx said:

Is the 102 a Traveller or Standard?

Any of the TC RH heads would fit on a vertical Traveller, any TC head would fit on the Standard.  

Another suggestion is to look at the Markbass amps.  I got a great sound with the LMII.

Traveller. The "p" is for piezo in regards to the tweeter.