Why become a member? ×

GASsing for U Bass

chickenjames

Hey all

I’m out hunting for a U Bass tomorrow. I’m expecting to use it for folk (amplified) as well as my P Bass, and maybe as a novelty thing on some pop/R&B/funk/disco...

I’m likely to try out

Kala Rumbler (fretted) and a couple of fretless Kalas (spruce & mahogany).

What would you be looking for when trying them out and comparing these?

I also have to make a fretted vs fretless decision.

Pro fretless

I have a little experience of playing lined fretless (normal scale length). I’ve tried fretless Kalas briefly before, and found the tuning manageable with a bit of concentration.

I think I’ll get more of a different sound from my Fender and it would sound more like a double bass

It has lines

Pro fretted

I’m a bit worried that I may struggle to keep it in tune

Mahogany is more expensive but comes with a better case and tuners - is this significant?
The Rumbler is cheaper but laminated
How do the strings compare between Rumbler and the others?
Do they all have the same electronics/tuner?

Obviously it’s going to be affected by how they play, but I’m thinking that the Hog Fretless is the nicest idea.

And finally straps - there’s a button at the big end, and I was going to just use a shoelace at the nut like an acoustic guitar - what does anyone else do?

Comments welcome....

Can’t comment on everything, but I have a mahogany Kala bass and I exchanged the rubber strings for the roundwounds. Means I still get that thump, but also I can e decent noise with a pick.

Action is quite high on them, but it’s a whole heap of fun. No matter which you get you will like it

For me the fret less seemed a little pointless with a U Bass. The silicone strings mean that the frets don’t alter

the sound much at all, and slides/ bends are hard to manage with them anyway.

Also look at the Countryman bass ukes. Mine was £149 I think, and is fantastic. All ply construction 

(which isn’t a problem on this type of instrument),nifty little preamp and Aguilar strings as standard.

Tried the U bass along side it, and honestly didn’t see the £200+ difference in quality or tone. ^_^

• Like 1

I played a Laka fretless one at the bash and really liked it. I see what you mean abiut the frets not impacting the sound so much but for me the fretless model has more ‘freedom’ and has a smoother sound. 

Where are you going to try them? I’ve been looking for a fretless one in darker coloured wood and this one seems the best value so far

https://www.musiccentre.co.uk/product/eko-duo-ukubass-fretless-electro-ukulele-bass

Here’s the Laka - I’ll probably get one of these as it played really nicely and Gear4Music are local  

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Laka-VUB60EA-Electro-Acoustic-Bass-Ukulele-Mahogany/1LLY

I much preferred fretless, it just made more sense to me.  The only downside is that I can't venture much beyond the 7th, as the short scale and rubbery strings make intonation too tough up there for me, but the intonation on the fretted ones I tried wasn't that hot either, so it's a bit of a moot point.

20 hours ago, visog said:

Fad. Will be an un-played curio in the music room in the click of the next Internet gear search. ** Cries - surprisingly good double-bass/fretless sound... yes and you'll look and feel like a Richard playing it**

Show us on the doll where the bad U-bass touched you...

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer the fretless version and even sold my fretted one. The fretless is not a problem for me to play but I kept getting too close to the frets and it would buzz like a bee. I also found the Aquila Thunder Gut and Rumbler strings quicker to break in and better with the tuning, although they are rough feeling. I wish you well with whatever decision you come to.