Why become a member? ×

Black Sabbath Vol 4

skidder652003

OK a quick silly rant, Im listening to this right now and its frankly brilliant (not put it on in 20 years) and then I read this review from some plonker from the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/x4xm/

He's talking nonsense (apart from the drug abuse!)

Its a FAB album, rant over, thanks for reading, I feel much better now

I think Changes is a bit of a turd and Laguna Sunrise a bit of an under-developed doodle but the rest of it is my favourite Sabbath by a country mile. 

Picked it up for £1.99 on the shoddy NEMS vinyl issue when I was 15 and spent many happy hours figuring out Supernaut, Under the Sun et al.

Never quite copped FX though. 

• Like 2

A great record, but not as good as the 3 that preceeded it (IMO, YMMV etc etc); Under The Sun is my favourite from this album.

It's a shame that the bass tone sucks compared with BS/Paranoid, but then I guess that's cocaine for you.

• Like 1

Still one of my favourite Sabbath albums, but I guess that review is coming from "fresh" ears, instead of having grown up with the album.

Maybe not as strong as "Master of Reality" or "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath", but still a good album.

13 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

“I've been all over the world and I've never seen a statue of a critic.” - Leonard Bernstein

Back in 1988 when Who Framed Roger Rabbit came out, all of the critics were going crazy for it saying what a fantastic film it was. I watched it and thought it was utter shite. Despite only being 12 at the time, I have never listened to a critic or "expert" since and whenever anything comes out purporting to be the best thing since sliced bread, I usually wait until all of the hubbub has calmed down before watching/listening to it and instead judge for myself how good I think it is.

There are some cracking tunes on this album though

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sausages said:

I should probably hide when I say this, but my favourite is Sabotage :$

What's the issue with that? (Apart from Bill Ward's leggings of course, lol) For me Megalomania is probably the best song Sabbath ever did.

Edited by Spaced

45 minutes ago, Sausages said:

Mine too. In fact it's my favourite album ever! 

As for the link in the first post, I think it's a fair review. I don't agree with it all, but it's far from a mindless slagging. And Sid Smith is far from a plonker! 

1 hour ago, Sausages said:

Whyso? Sabotage and Bloody Sabbath are my Faves, then Heaven and Hell and Vol 4 and Master of Reality together.  I always thought Vol 4 was the heaviest sab album for some reason.

2nd album I ever bought. 1st was 'Hits 68'

I then acquired Sabbath Bloody Sabbath with all the Satanic imagary on the cover. My Dad (a strict Baptist), was not impressed at all.  I always liked the acoustic intro to Spiral Architect and sometimes play it when I'm noodling and ask people to guess the source....no one ever gets it right (except Sabbath fans obvs).  

No so big into metal these days, but might well give 4 and SBS a re-listen

SBS.png

• Like 1