Why become a member? ×

Pleasant suprise (cheap bass)

Creeper

I’ve been looking for a cheap bass to take to the various festivals and some rather dodgy venues my band is booked into over the coming months. If we’re the only band playing and I can see my gear all night I’m quite happy to take good gear, but I have some very nice basses which I don’t really want left in a room full of gear with people coming and going all day. Anyway I was looking to get a squire having heard some good reviews about the Indonesian models however I ended up getting a used Overwater by Tanglewood Classic J for £120. I put some new strings on and took it to practise last night and we were all mighty impressed, some proper bang for your buck with these, very nicely finished and a good punchy sound, very nice indeed. The only criticism I would have is that this is a PJ model and the P pickup is quite a bit louder than the jazz, although it’s probably a set up issue which I can easily sort.

amazed at what you can pick up for £120 

• Like 3

Damn, you paid £10 more than me xD Did you get the red or the black version?

They are great value at this price level.  I picked one up the other day and after playing it for a while I decided it was a little too polite and as you say, the J p/up is quiet.  So having stuck a set of DiMarzio DP126s in and a proper Kiogon loom and the bass sound has been transformed.  Super punchy now with a great tone.  Gratuitous pic.:

5a6a2fa22c074_ClassicJazz02.jpg.ff0c40fab2687ae44a7bf4ca40595298.jpg

3 hours ago, Creeper said:

I’ve been looking for a cheap bass to take to the various festivals and some rather dodgy venues my band is booked into over the coming months. If we’re the only band playing and I can see my gear all night I’m quite happy to take good gear, but I have some very nice basses which I don’t really want left in a room full of gear with people coming and going all day. 

I feel your caution. I just bought my Bass Collection for similar reasons. There's places where you'd be happy taking expensive basses, but taking those instruments to other places or events could put you on edge. If means allow, having a cheaper sh*t venue / rehearsal bass is a sensible idea.

56 minutes ago, Creeper said:

it could do with a new pickguard ideally but wouldn’t have a clue where to get one from....

I was going to say Sims Custom shop as they can 3D scan your existing pickguard for an exact fit replacement. Thing is, mine cost £50 to do that which given the value of your bass........ 🤔😬

1 hour ago, Creeper said:

Ha, I’ve been ripped off🧐

ive got the black one same as you, it could do with a new pickguard ideally but wouldn’t have a clue where to get one from....

Sorry got this the wrong way round, I was ripped off!

Try Jack's Instrument Services for a pickguard.  It will still be a significant percentage of the cost of you bass though.  That having been said had I had to buy the DP126 set new it would have cost almost the same as the bass.