Why become a member? ×

Substitute

Actually to be fair when I left school in the 70s I was able to get a job that paid enough for me to live independently. I think that would be next to impossible today and I'd probably end up dead in a ditch within a week.

It's heartbreaking that young people now have to live with their parents for years on end because they cant afford to move out. It prevents them from becoming true adults, imho. I think that may be part of the problem.

Edited by discreet
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, discreet said:

'Generation Marmalade Sandwich, or Marmalade Sandwich Generation, is a neologistic term used to characterize the young adults of the 2010s as being more prone to taking offence and less resilient than previous generations, or as being too emotionally vulnerable to cope with views that challenge their own. The term is considered derogatory.[1][2] It is one of several informal examples of usage of the word marmalade sandwich to refer to people.'

Fixed :biggrin:

2 minutes ago, discreet said:

Actually to be fair when I left school in the 70s I was able to get a job that paid enough for me to live independently. I think that would be next to impossible today and I'd probably end up dead in a ditch within a week.

It's heartbreaking that young people now have to live with their parents for years on end because they cant afford to move out. It prevents them from becoming true adults, imho. I think that may be part of the problem.

most of my friends, and me, stayed at home with their parents until they got married in the early twenties usually, how times have changed

Well I'm not part of that generation, however I don't see them as being less resilient. Just less willing to allow abusive behaviour directed at their friends and family slide without speaking out and doing something about it. If some old guys construe that as being overly emotional then I guess that speaks more about their generation than it does the "snowflake" generation.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Well I'm not part of that generation, however I don't see them as being less resilient. Just less willing to allow abusive behaviour directed at their friends and family slide without speaking out and doing something about it. If some old guys construe that as being overly emotional then I guess that speaks more about their generation than it does the "snowflake" generation.

That may well be true, but I'm definitely seeing a trend towards people choosing to be offended by... well, not very much. That's possibly not an age thing, but a waste-a-mountain-of-time-on-facebook thing. I dont know really - you won't find me spending much time on the internet. :D

5 minutes ago, discreet said:

That may well be true, but I'm definitely seeing a trend towards people choosing to be offended by... well, not very much. That's possibly not an age thing, but a waste-a-mountain-of-time-on-facebook thing. I dont know really - you won't find me spending much time on the internet. :D

I use Facebook almost exclusively for bass marketplaces and sharing Viz Top Tips so I'm not all that clued up on what everyone else does on there. Most of the permanently outraged posts I see are from more right wing Daily Mail type folk, usually about how immigrants are eating poppies or something.........

1 minute ago, Jus Lukin said:

Can you just eat them, unprocessed?! Maybe these immigrants bring useful knowledge with 'em!

I think they use them as salad garnish liberally spread around a roasted swan, they then add the blood, sweat and tears of ex-servicemen as dressing. After dinner entertainment is usually scratching the Queen's head of a pound coin.

Here's a belter from the Viz archives:

020_04012014_09-43.png

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

I use Facebook almost exclusively for bass marketplaces and sharing Viz Top Tips so I'm not all that clued up on what everyone else does on there. Most of the permanently outraged posts I see are from more right wing Daily Mail type folk, usually about how immigrants are eating poppies or something.........

Just out of interest, here are the average daily circulation figures for 2017 as you keep referring to the Daily Mail.

Daily Mirror 724,888

The Guardian 156,756

Daily Mail 1,511,357 

I used to work for Viz (John Brown Publishing) in the 90’s , we managed to get the circulation figure over the million mark.

Edited by steantval

1 minute ago, timmo said:

Yours really are . You say that snowflake is the most tedious, but you have used Daily Mail as a cliche. So many people use it that it is the ultimate cliche. 

My what really are what? Also, I don't recall mentioning the Daily Mail anywhere in this thread! Perhaps you should go and have a little lie down.

5 minutes ago, JellyKnees said:

My what really are what? Also, I don't recall mentioning the Daily Mail anywhere in this thread! Perhaps you should go and have a little lie down.

Well, in that case, I certainly apologise. I thought it was you, but it was someone else. Sorry, I will have my little lie down

1 hour ago, steantval said:

Daily Mirror 724,888

The Guardian 156,756

Daily Mail 1,511,357 

I used to work for Viz (John Brown Publishing) in the 90’s , we managed to get the circulation figure over the million mark.

Perhaps you could go and work for The Guardian? :) My old mum and dad read The Mail, I'm sick of telling them that most of it is not true. 9_9 I think they just enjoy being outraged.

1 hour ago, lemmywinks said:

Viz top tips are some of the best things ever. I always enjoy my top tip facebook feeds

2 minutes ago, discreet said:

Perhaps you could go and work for The Guardian? :) My old mum and dad read The Mail, I'm sick of telling them that most of it is not true. 9_9 I think they just enjoy being outraged.

I think they are about the same dap, just polar opposites. 

1 minute ago, timmo said:

I think they are about the same dap, just polar opposites. 

I dont know about that. There's a lot wrong with The Guardian, but at least it's not pushing a rabid swivel-eyed Brexit agenda and a return to Victorian no-welfare serfdom, as favoured by certain right wing tax-evading billionaire newspaper owners...

• Like 2