Why become a member? ×

Substitute

On 29/01/2018 at 12:58, JellyKnees said:

Nah, it's just a pathetic cliched insult thrown around by (usually) right wing pseudo-macho keyboard warrior types in a fit of pique at their inability to deal with the rapidly changing modern world, which they perceive as threatening their way of life, their fragile little egos, and ultimately their complete lack of self worth. It probably gives them a little frisson of excitement when the say it, they may even become mildly aroused and as they verbally lay into someone they perceive as being less tough than them, in the same way they probably enjoyed pulling the wings off flies when they were an unhappy child.

That's the problem I have with it.

I don't think I have ever seen so many cliches in one paragraph

21 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Oddly enough all the people I know who use the term (and by extension go on long protracted rants about soft lefties and how we need to take our country back etc.) are usually overweight middle aged blokes who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag and would be blowing out of their @rse running up a flight of stairs. Maybe the hyper-macho posturing is compensating for something?

Hence why I used the phrase 'mildly aroused'... I seriously doubt they are able to achieve anything like 'full tumescence'.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, itsmedunc said:

Surely you would notice if you had been buggered? 😂

Am I the only person in the world not to have heard the term 'snowflake'? Well, I tell a lie, I've heard it on Love Thy Neighbour in the 70's. Best not mention that though...

tbh I had to Google it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Snowflake

Love Thy Neighbour, don't get that repeated very often :) but didn't the black guy normally come out on top? 

Edited by PaulWarning

8 minutes ago, itsmedunc said:

Surely you would notice if you had been buggered? 😂

Am I the only person in the world not to have heard the term 'snowflake'? Well, I tell a lie, I've heard it on Love Thy Neighbour in the 70's. Best not mention that though...

I think that might be a different meaning today 

I sent my first post on here thinking it was Off Topic. On the topic of old songs, I have heard Olivers Army played on the radio  the other day with the original lyrics. I was quite surprised. Maybe they got it mixed up with the radio edit, or has anybody else heard it recently, and seems to be ok. 

'Generation Snowflake, or Snowflake Generation, is a neologistic term used to characterize the young adults of the 2010s as being more prone to taking offence and less resilient than previous generations, or as being too emotionally vulnerable to cope with views that challenge their own. The term is considered derogatory.[1][2] It is one of several informal examples of usage of the word snowflake to refer to people.'

Certainly less resilient than previous generations, imho. Which is a shame because given the way things are going, everyone will need to be a lot more resilient - to say the least.