Why become a member? ×

New MusicMan Stingray announced

NJE

12 hours ago, drTStingray said:

I'm certainly going to order an SR5, possibly HH in that turquoise green/blue colour with the black hardware and scratch plate. 

But I like the dark blue sparkle greatly as well - maybe an SR4 in that........

I can forsee a likely depletion of funds on the horizon 🤑 

I’m thinking 4HH in a ridiculous colour....

This'll be interesting, following on from the new fender range thread and how people don't really want new models.

My guess will be that the uptake on the new 'improved' Stingray won't be that great. 

I reckon that most people who want a Stingray want the tried and tested classic.

If it was just that the hardware had been made lighter, people would still complain that it's not a 'proper' Stingray, but changing the pickup and preamp will get people saying that this new model isn't a Stingray at all.

I suspect the classic models will outsell the new by an order of magnitude.

5 hours ago, Cato said:

I reckon that most people who want a Stingray want the tried and tested classic.

I get what you mean by that. I for one can’t fault my Ray, and I like that it’s the tried and tested classic.

So because I own a nice Ray I wouldn’t go out to replace it. I wonder what people without a Ray, but buying one, would decide if they got to try both? 

If the new ones are as good as the potential then I reckon that in and ideal world me, and others, would love both. 

I like their style, the new colours, black hardware etc... the 5-bolt neck joint is great... lighter as well? great! But... I'm not sure about the neodymium pickups. I'll have to try them before categorically say NO!!! but I'm not impressed by that change. 

When people say tried and tested Stingray do they mean the slab three-bolt, the contiured four-bolt, the contoured six-bolt 2eq, the contoured six-bolt 3eq or the slab six-bolt 2eq? The Stingray has been continually improved since it was released, not one of them has been a let down. These are smart refinements by a company who don’t usually get it wrong, why such groundless negativity when none of us have even played one yet? Silly.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 6

The new colours are great - I will certainly be ordering one if not two. I've been out with my Classic Stingray tonight in the house band at a jam session and wonderful it sounded too - but an HH 3 band it ain't, and as a result hasn't got the sound flexibility I like on some gigs.

Timely comment about Mr McFly and his LEDs, part of the family Sims sang backing vocals whilst I was playing tonight - and good they were too - apparently Mr Sims was otherwise engaged at some music show or other. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Doctor J said:

When people say tried and tested Stingray do they mean the slab three-bolt, the contiured four-bolt, the contoured six-bolt 2eq, the contoured six-bolt 3eq or the slab six-bolt 2eq? The Stingray has been continually improved since it was released, not one of them has been a let down. These are smart refinements by a company who don’t usually get it wrong, why such groundless negativity when none of us have even played one yet? Silly.

I agree. Whilst they make bold moves, I do think they get it right, if you give it a chance.

Depending on the prices, I might have to look into a 4HH.

The negativity is an observation on the perceived conservative nature of the customer base, not on the company or the new bass itself.  There's a reason bass manufacturers continue to offer sunburst, black and white finishes.  You have to tread carefully when it comes to innovation, because people will constantly tell you they want change, but what they actually want are a few small changes that benefit them specifically, and for everything else to remain exactly as it was, for eternity, never having to change or compromise their own behaviour in any way whatsoever.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, linear said:

The negativity is an observation on the perceived conservative nature of the customer base, not on the company or the new bass itself.  There's a reason bass manufacturers continue to offer sunburst, black and white finishes.  You have to tread carefully when it comes to innovation, because people will constantly tell you they want change, but what they actually want are a few small changes that benefit them specifically, and for everything else to remain exactly as it was, for eternity, never having to change or compromise their own behaviour in any way whatsoever.

that's probably a very fair assessment :D

I think we underestimate our American counterparts and collectors in general, a lot of people here have one P bass and a backup so a new version of what they already have needs to be a contender for moving on their existing bass,  the musicman forum has people with dozens of them, they'll want a few of these just for starters! 

2 hours ago, linear said:

I think there definitely is an element of that in the industry and customer base for instruments, otherwise Fender and Gibson wouldn't spend so much time and effort repackaging vintage reissues - and sticking to the same basic packages for their other output, with a few exceptions. It's interesting that although there's a perception that business model is what the market wants - no doubt some of it does, but neither company seems to make a roaring financial success out of it, which suggests it's not a successful model, but one they can't break out of because they are trading on brand history. 

However there is a lot of innovation going on everywhere else you look and not all people are either wedded to or only wedded to those old designs. 

I think Musicman have picked up on the things people have most asked for with the Stingray, notably weight reduction, sparkle and other cool colours and other things. You notice they are careful to offer black, sunburst, natural and white - the first three apparently sell more than any other colour. 

Ive seen lots of requests for green, yellow and other colours on forums, in fact the reduction in colours seems to have created the most criticism. That they've come up with such an attractive set of finishes is remarkable. I think they've been listening, which is good. I love my Classic 2 band but am very open to this new approach also - I'm unlikely to buy a second Classic Ray but almost certain to buy one of these new ones. 

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:57, Cato said:

This'll be interesting, following on from the new fender range thread and how people don't really want new models.

My guess will be that the uptake on the new 'improved' Stingray won't be that great. 

If it was just that the hardware had been made lighter, people would still complain that it's not a 'proper' Stingray, but changing the pickup and preamp will get people saying that this new model isn't a Stingray at all.

I suspect the classic models will outsell the new by an order of magnitude.

I can see your point Cato.  Having said that, my current fretted Ray is a Starry Night version which shares a lot of DNA with the 'new' Ray (sparkle finish, roasted maple, ebony board) but I'd appreciate it even more if it was 8.5lbs.

On 1/27/2018 at 12:34, Delberthot said:

I wonder if this means that we'll soon have the option of a Status Graphite neck for the Sterling if it shares the same scale and heel dimensions as the new Stingray.

The idea of a Cutlass 1 with a smaller body sounds appealing...

14 hours ago, Musicman20 said:

St Vincent bass is coming apparently!

I saw a video on youtube where Annie (St Vincent) mentioned it I am sure. Something about being in the studio with Pino and he either played her guitar and he liked it and thought a bass would be good, or he tried a prototype and thought it was good......I cant remember and I am probably paraphrasing, but she mentioned bass and Pino and that's all that matters.

• Like 2

I must be in a minority here. I can't help but see the new ones and think they look like copies of a Stingray (more frets, pickup shape was better without gap between screws, looks like a frog now), also the roasted necks just look dirty. Sure i'd try one out, but the original never gave me a problem.