Why become a member? ×

New MusicMan Stingray announced

NJE

It looks like MusicMan have updated the Stingray for 2018. New features:

All toasted maple necks, 17 new colour options, black hardware (ebony boards on black hardware basses), 5 bolt neck joint with what looks like a more rounded joint. Also lighter hardware (1pound reduction in weight) and 18v preamp.

All on Thomann YouTube vid here: 

29 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

Interesting. I'll watch the video in a little while.

I never expected them to completely overhaul the normal Stingray. Is this an additional model?

By the way the guy in the video was talking this is the new standard Stingray. It’s got a neodymium magnet from the bongo wound to Stingray Spec, whatever that means. The guy jokes and says something like ‘why would we mess with the Stingray’. 

I would love to try one, especially with roasted maple as standard.

14 minutes ago, NJE said:

By the way the guy in the video was talking this is the new standard Stingray. It’s got a neodymium magnet from the bongo wound to Stingray Spec, whatever that means. The guy jokes and says something like ‘why would we mess with the Stingray’. 

I would love to try one, especially with roasted maple as standard.

Basically it will have the classic Ray snarl but with the quickness and attack/precision of the neo magnets....they are VERY powerful.

It’s amazed me how long it’s taken for EBMM to use lightweight tuners. 

On a 5 string with big plate old tuners swapping to Hipshot ultralights can save more than half a pound!

im also a bit amused at the amount of bass makers who say they’ve spent loads developing their own lightweight tuners that always end up heavier than the Ultralights. Just use them!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fretmeister said:

On a 5 string with big plate old tuners swapping to Hipshot ultralights can save more than half a pound!

im also a bit amused at the amount of bass makers who say they’ve spent loads developing their own lightweight tuners that always end up heavier than the Ultralights. Just use them!

The problem with bought in tuners in California is the trade laws don't let you say the instrument is made in California, USA - thus a marketing issue.

I noticed that apart from revoiced and 18 volt powered preamp and neodymium magnets, the SR4 and SR5 have revised neck profiles, revised sculpting at top fret, and revised body contours. Those plus the new colours and options represent a major change and I will be very interested to try them.

This creates quite a gap between the new passive bass lines, the Classic Stingray and the updated Stingray. 

20 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Those new tuners are hideous. They look like something you get on some cheap Chinese copy bass. I see no reason to change from the original tuners, they were part of the Stingray image.

Agreed, but made in Germany and relatively heavy - with the changes to the rest of the bass may have upset the balance. I'm guessing the Classic Ray will (might??) still be available.

On another point - I love that heavily sparkly silver/black colour and the blue/green.

8 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I don't know if you know but they were used on the Reflex throughout its run and have been used on the Bongo for the last few years.

I'm guessing the reason for not changing the Stingray ones till now has been concern about the look and upsetting the 'accepted' appearance - perhaps people should moan about Fender using big old tuners on t all their four in line head stocks where the balance effect is surely worse. 

I guess the Classic Ray will still be available as now (with big tuners). 

Edited by drTStingray

38 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Wonder if they'll be putting the USA Sterling on the same diet?  I've been after a light-weight Sterling for years and they never quite dip in much below 9lb... now if they shave 1lb off the 9lb I'd be interested!  :)

The new Stingray has the 22 fret board and 5 bolt neck plate same as the Sterling which hopefully suggests modifications to the Sterling to take it further away from the Stingray. I wonder if this means that we'll soon have the option of a Status Graphite neck for the Sterling if it shares the same scale and heel dimensions as the new Stingray.

I'm wondering if we'll see changes to the Sterling firstly on the 25th anniversary that I'm hoping is in the pipeline like the 20th Stingray was the first to have the new bridge without the mutes. There has to be one but if not then I'm having a sparkly blue stingray.

Best thing I did to my Sterling was fit ultralites as soon as I bought it.

I'm certainly going to order an SR5, possibly HH in that turquoise green/blue colour with the black hardware and scratch plate. 

But I like the dark blue sparkle greatly as well - maybe an SR4 in that........

I can forsee a likely depletion of funds on the horizon 🤑 

• Haha 2