Why become a member? ×

New Fender Rumble amps, modelling!

uk_lefty

16 hours ago, rushscored4 said:

Yes I use it all the time to practice at home and it works great especially with my Skull Candy Crusher wireless headphones which have a bass boost slider. I even put some Spotify tunes on the amp via Bluetooth in between our two sets last Saturday!

Wait!  uh, . . .    What?  

Do you mean that you use The Stage's Bluetooth connected to your wireless headphones to hear your bass?!?  If so, does it shut off the speakers, like using wired headphones does??

I didn't see anything in the manual about Bluetooth transmission.  I thought it was receive only!?!   Why, that's just a whole 'nother bundle of possibilities, if so!!!

But, surely The Stage doesn't do simultaneous send & receive, does it???  Like receive songs from your phone, then transmit the songs and your bass to your wireless headphones (while shutting off the speakers)!?!?  Does it???  

This mind boggles.  Please clarify.     O.o

5 hours ago, G-Dog said:

Wait!  uh, . . .    What?  

Do you mean that you use The Stage's Bluetooth connected to your wireless headphones to hear your bass?!?  If so, does it shut off the speakers, like using wired headphones does??

I didn't see anything in the manual about Bluetooth transmission.  I thought it was receive only!?!   Why, that's just a whole 'nother bundle of possibilities, if so!!!

But, surely The Stage doesn't do simultaneous send & receive, does it???  Like receive songs from your phone, then transmit the songs and your bass to your wireless headphones (while shutting off the speakers)!?!?  Does it???  

This mind boggles.  Please clarify.     O.o

Ah sorry, I should've clarified that even though the headphones are wireless I use the aux cable if I'm using the Bluetooth from my phone to send music to the amp! :crazy:

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, rushscored4 said:

Ah sorry, I should've clarified that even though the headphones are wireless I use the aux cable if I'm using the Bluetooth from my phone to send music to the amp! :crazy:

Ummm, clarification not received.    O.o

Don't the aux cable and the Bluetooth do the same thing:  send music from phone to amp?  And just how do your wireless headphones get the music and/or bass sound?

I'm SO confused !   O.o

3 hours ago, G-Dog said:

Ummm, clarification not received.    O.o

Don't the aux cable and the Bluetooth do the same thing:  send music from phone to amp?  And just how do your wireless headphones get the music and/or bass sound?

I'm SO confused !   O.o

They can do the same thing but what I meant was...

Phone/iPad (music) > Bluetooth > amp > aux cable > headphones > play along with music in silence!

Hope that makes sense now... :biggrin:

5 hours ago, rushscored4 said:

They can do the same thing but what I meant was...

Phone/iPad (music) > Bluetooth > amp > aux cable > headphones > play along with music in silence!

Hope that makes sense now... :biggrin:

So, it appears you are not using the wireless headphones wirelessly?  You are using the headphones' aux cable in the amp's headphones output, which mutes the amp's speakers?  Not using the amp's aux input at all?  And the amp's Bluetooth is receiving, only; not transmitting?  If this is correct, then I understand my misconception, but am somewhat disappointed from that misconception.      :facepalm:

4 hours ago, G-Dog said:

So, it appears you are not using the wireless headphones wirelessly?  You are using the headphones' aux cable in the amp's headphones output, which mutes the amp's speakers?  Not using the amp's aux input at all?  And the amp's Bluetooth is receiving, only; not transmitting?  If this is correct, then I understand my misconception, but am somewhat disappointed from that misconception.      :facepalm:

Yep my bad. I meant so far I have used the detachable headphone cable which looks like a standard aux cable hence the description... :$

As the Rumble Stage 800 is both wifi and Bluetooth enabled if any techies out there can tell me a better way to connect either my Samsung S7 Android phone or iPad (both have Spotify to play along with) AND my Skull Candy Crusher wireless headphones without using any cables then I'll be extremely grateful!

I know I'm a whole lot late to the party... But I tried one of the 40's the other day.  My thoughts are that if it's like the Mustang amps, the expensive one will be pretty good and the cheaper one extremely "meh".  I was totally unimpressed by the Rumble 40 Studio which I played side by side with the standard 40 and to me the extra $150 isn't worth it.  Too complicated and to me very toy-like. JMO

8 hours ago, vindibona1 said:

I know I'm a whole lot late to the party... But I tried one of the 40's the other day.  My thoughts are that if it's like the Mustang amps, the expensive one will be pretty good and the cheaper one extremely "meh".  I was totally unimpressed by the Rumble 40 Studio which I played side by side with the standard 40 and to me the extra $150 isn't worth it.  Too complicated and to me very toy-like. JMO

From what I read, the settings and menus of the Studio 40 and Stage 800 are identical.  The only difference being the power modules and speakers.

Do you think the more expensive (powerful) one would be pretty good?

1 hour ago, G-Dog said:

From what I read, the settings and menus of the Studio 40 and Stage 800 are identical.  The only difference being the power modules and speakers.

I'm still delighted with my Stage 800! Another gig at a bigger pub in Manchester to try it out again tonight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, G-Dog said:

I believe that this will be a lot like the Mustangs... People like the upper end a lot. But the lower end in my experience was extremely disappointing.  Relating to guitar amps, when I was looking for guitar amps the sales guys were all pushing Mustangs and thought the sound was substandard in comparison to other SS amps in that price range. I felt that it might be great for a kid starting out who wants to play with sounds, but they (lower end) really weren't serious amps.  I've taken lessons on the lower end Mustangs and always found the sound lacking and sterile.  When I demoed the Rumble 40 Studio I felt the same way.  But again, I suspect that the 800 Stage will be a different beast. For $800 USD it had better be as it's getting into Mark Bass price territory.  As for the Studio 40, I think $150 is a lot of premium for a gizmo on a lower end amp when you can buy the Rumble 100 for $50 cheaper and add an EQ pedal  or two (I'm a fan of cheapo Behringer pedals btw)... or buy a TC BG250 and download tone prints.  JMO

Edit: At this moment, at home I'm testing a Rumble 100 and a TC Electronic BG250-112, each about $300USD to see which of these I want to keep.   After two days with the Rumble and one day with the BG250 I'm leaning  toward the latter. One of the features of the BG is the XLR out is a balanced output with both pre and post EQ. The one disadvantage to the Rumble 100 and the standard Rumble 40 is that the XLR output is only EQ'd, while the Studio 40 has an XLR out that offers both pre and post EQ/effects.  I have no horse in this race and am leaning toward the BG as it just seems like a more serious amp than the Rumble and a whole 'nother league than either of the 40's.  Just my opinion and personal experience. 

Edited by vindibona1
Adding additional comments from current experience
  • Like 1

On 24 March 2018 at 14:51, vindibona1 said:

Edit: At this moment, at home I'm testing a Rumble 100 and a TC Electronic BG250-112, each about $300USD to see which of these I want to keep.   After two days with the Rumble and one day with the BG250 I'm leaning  toward the latter. One of the features of the BG is the XLR out is a balanced output with both pre and post EQ. The one disadvantage to the Rumble 100 and the standard Rumble 40 is that the XLR output is only EQ'd, while the Studio 40 has an XLR out that offers both pre and post EQ/effects.  I have no horse in this race and am leaning toward the BG as it just seems like a more serious amp than the Rumble and a whole 'nother league than either of the 40's.  Just my opinion and personal experience. 

I have the original Fender Rumble 100, the latest 100 V3 and the Stage 800 and I also have a TCE BG250-208 and I much prefer the Fenders. I find the amp models and tones of the 800 all useable whereas I think the Toneprint facility on the BG250 is a bit gimmicky! I also think both the smaller Rumbles have a better sound and are are more powerful than the TCE despite its stated higher output.

Mind you I generally only play small pubs and clubs in the UK with no FOH or need to plug into the PA so I haven't used the XLR out on any of my amps. If I did need to I've also got an Ampeg PF-50T and PF-350.

On 3/25/2018 at 19:50, rushscored4 said:

I have the original Fender Rumble 100, the latest 100 V3 and the Stage 800 and I also have a TCE BG250-208 and I much prefer the Fenders. I find the amp models and tones of the 800 all useable whereas I think the Toneprint facility on the BG250 is a bit gimmicky! I also think both the smaller Rumbles have a better sound and are are more powerful than the TCE despite its stated higher output.

Mind you I generally only play small pubs and clubs in the UK with no FOH or need to plug into the PA so I haven't used the XLR out on any of my amps. If I did need to I've also got an Ampeg PF-50T and PF-350.

I got a chance over the weekend to demo several of the  BG250 amps.  I did not care for the 2x8 at all compared to the 1x12's of the Rumble 100 or the BG250-112.  So if you're comparing the 208 to the Rumble I can see how you'd like the sound of the Rumble better.  The 208 just seemed to lack bottom end. To my ears the Rumble is both bright and boomy and pleasant sounding.  But I think it may be a bit underpowered.   While you say the Toneprint is "gimmicky" I'll go further than that... virtually unusable and OVER-HYPED... by a lot.  Toneprint only brings special effects to the amp and limited special effects at that- and NO TONE EDITOR FOR AMPS. So you can't do pre-set EQ's with Toneprint, which is something that the hype led me to believe. Having said that, The BG250 is a decent amp for the money.  It appears to me that the Rumble 100 is a practice amp that you might be able to gig with while the BG250 is a small gig amp that you can practice with.  I dunno... I am going to check out the GK 110 and 112 later in the week. Maybe later today. 

Edited by vindibona1
  • Like 1

Whilst I bought my grandson a Rumble 40 as his first amp because of value for money and great tone,  I use a BG250-208. Aside from portability I find the EQ is very effective and the Spectracomp toneprint excellent at about 3 oclock. With a built in tuner it's a great little package. But yes as you say a small gig amp that you can practice with yes, but it can move a fair bit of air with the right extension cab.

N.B. For my other grandson I got him a Fender Bronco 40, another good little first amp the modeling of which sounds pretty good to me.

Edited by grandad

34 minutes ago, grandad said:

N.B. For my other grandson I got him a Fender Bronco 40, another good little first amp the modeling of which sounds pretty good to me.

An incredibly good first amp! The preset amp models are decent, the fender fuse software makes tweaking easy, then there's the effects you can add in. If I had this as a beginner I think I'd have got more out of my time spent clumsily plodding away at my bass through a bland and characterless 15w amp. Playing with admittedly awful sounding distortion did help my playing branch out, so having all these different amp models would help understand sustain and the type of sound you want from an amp... I'll stop rambling.