Why become a member? ×

New Fender Rumble amps, modelling!

uk_lefty

2 hours ago, Muppet said:

We're talking about the new 40w and 800w Rumble combos with the amp and cab and effects modelling software built in,  rather than the V3 units? @rushscored4 has just taken delivery of one,  so I'm eagerly waiting for his review...!

Yes, the new Rumble Studio 40w and Rumble Stage 800w combos.

forgive my cynicism, but aren't amp modellers just preset EQ with a bit of distortion in there if needed, and, if say you're modelling an Ampeg SVT doesn't it matter what you are actually playing through as well? I know that doesn't apply in this case because the modellor is built in

Just now, Muppet said:

And it's  got a black grill cloth but Fender are matching it with the silver  Rumble 210. I wish it had the old school silver cloth. I'd change that straight away. (And swap the logo) 

Yes! Maybe an Ampeg logo would look better? :biggrin:

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

forgive my cynicism, but aren't amp modellers just preset EQ with a bit of distortion in there if needed, and, if say you're modelling an Ampeg SVT doesn't it matter what you are actually playing through as well? I know that doesn't apply in this case because the modellor is built in

True, but lots of people use pre amp pedals and multi fx with amp and cab Sims. When you use the software you can add cab Sims, effects pedals, etc. It's a good home practice toy.

Last year I bought my grandson a Bronco 40 as his first amp and was impressed with the overall build and tone. The Rockinpeg model sounded great. I tried a new Rumble Studio 40 out at GuitarGuitar in Brum this week and was again impressed - loud, great tones and lightweight. I think Fender are making some good bass amps these days.

6 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

It's the use of the word 'just' which makes it sound like nothing.

Isn't an SVT just a particular EQ and way of compressing, with a bit of distortion in there? Isn't that 'punch in the mix' a P-bass has just a bump in the low mids which many think makes it sit in the right spot?

The sound of instruments is just a balance of harmonics with a dynamic range. Often far more complicated than you can shape with a three band EQ and a Big Muff, but essentially, the raw materials of sound are very simple. Emulating those sounds could take many layers, but the upshot is, yep, EQ, distortion.

How would you measure the balance of frequencies coming from an amp outside of EQ? How would you measure the way it responds outside of compression? The way it breaks up outside of distortion?

It is just those things, because it just needs to be those. As much as manufacturers would like us to think it, there is no magic coming out of the speakers. Only quantifiable, measurable, increasingly replicable sound.

It does matter what you play through when using modellers- and that is a big part of the move towards Full-Range, Flat-Response systems for guitar and bass. I presume these amps are basically FRFR after the models, or have their models tweaked to account for any deficiencies in the cabs- more likely the former, as they will probably be DI'd lots.

all this it true, I used the word 'just' to emphasise the point that there's no digital black magic going on here just someone deciding what multi fx settings you need to achieve a certain sound, nothing wrong with that, Trace Elliot were doing it years ago with their pre shape buttons

10 hours ago, roceci said:

These look great and I can't wait to upgrade from my V3 500 combo. I'm all about convenience these days & if I can ditch my B3 & a cable or two I'll be very happy.

Do wish they'd kept the silver grille tho :( 

I've got the original Rumble 100 in black, the V3 Rumble 100 with the silver grill and now the Rumble Stage 800 and I prefer the new models in black. All a matter of personal taste I s'pose!

9 hours ago, rushscored4 said:

I've got the original Rumble 100 in black, the V3 Rumble 100 with the silver grill and now the Rumble Stage 800 and I prefer the new models in black. All a matter of personal taste I s'pose!

I wish my v3 rumble had a black grill, dont like the silver grill one bit.

There's a lot more info on this amp on the Fender shop site:

Fender Rumble Stage 800

Slightly hi-jacking the thread, having bought one of these and knowing that the output is 400w with the two internal 10" speakers but up to 800w (hence the name) with an extension cab, any suggestions for a lightweight cab that might complement the 2 x 10s, look similar in black (so no Markbass or silver grill Rumble cabs for example), handle the extra 400w and have a similar footprint so I can stack the Stage 800 on top?

Here are the specifications:

Height:23.7” (60.2cm)

Width:19” (48.3 cm)

Depth:14” (35.56 cm)

Weight:39 lbs. (17.7kg)

10 minutes ago, rushscored4 said:

...having bought one of these and knowing that the output is 400w with the two internal 10" speakers but up to 800w (hence the name) with an extension cab, any suggestions for a lightweight cab that might complement the 2 x 10s...

If it's anything like the V3 500 (350W without an extension cab) it'll be bum-hurtingly loud and won't need an extension. Unless you're playing very big rooms, of course. In any case, you'd think Fender would have matching extensions in the pipeline?

Edited by discreet
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, rushscored4 said:

There's a lot more info on this amp on the Fender shop site:

Fender Rumble Stage 800

Slightly hi-jacking the thread, having bought one of these and knowing that the output is 400w with the two internal 10" speakers but up to 800w (hence the name) with an extension cab, any suggestions for a lightweight cab that might complement the 2 x 10s, look similar in black (so no Markbass or silver grill Rumble cabs for example), handle the extra 400w and have a similar footprint so I can stack the Stage 800 on top?

Here are the specifications:

Height:23.7” (60.2cm)

Width:19” (48.3 cm)

Depth:14” (35.56 cm)

Weight:39 lbs. (17.7kg)

so on it's own it's only 50 watts louder (which is next to nothing) than the Rumble 500, bit strange

17 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

so on it's own it's only 50 watts louder (which is next to nothing) than the Rumble 500, bit strange

Marketing! As we know, output watts are no indication of perceived volume. I played some big rooms with my V3 500, no PA support or extension cab. Never got the master above 11 o'clock.

1 hour ago, discreet said:

If it's anything like the V3 500 (350W without an extension cab) it'll be bum-hurtingly loud and won't need an extension. Unless you're playing very big rooms, of course. In any case, you'd think Fender would have matching extensions in the pipeline?

I'd also guess the extension cab's will follow.

I have said it before but I do like to use the v3 500 combo with the 210 extension cab not just for the extra loudness but the way it stacks closer to your ear and fills out the sound more. ( most gig tho the 500 combo on it's own is all I will take). I do wonder if the new 800 and 40 will spell the end for the v3 500 combo and 40 combo? Would seem strange as I think they have been very popular and the v3's aren't that old.

18 minutes ago, Highfox said:

....I do wonder if the new 800 and 40 will spell the end for the v3 500 combo and 40 combo? Would seem strange as I think they have been very popular and the v3's aren't that old....

I'm hoping the new Rumbles will lead to a glut of cheap old Rumbles on the second-hand market... :)