Why become a member? ×

Blackstar bass amps

Andytre

So does anyone know if these actually contain valve stages, or are they just simulated valve stages in some of the voicing options?

I know valves aren't every bass player's cup of tea, but I always felt the great strength of Blackstar guitar amps was their valve tone - I'd certainly be interested to hear how it translates to bass.

None of the technical info published so far actually says much about the innards of these amps. If there were actually valves in there, I'm sure that Backstair would be making a big deal about the fact. Since they don't I can only assume that these are all solid state, with class D power amps for the higher power models.

Weird considering the only real reason for having top mounted controls these days is that it can allow a more cost-effective and compact arrangement of the valves and speakers within a combo format.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

None of the technical info published so far actually says much about the innards of these amps. If there were actually valves in there, I'm sure that Backstair would be making a big deal about the fact. Since they don't I can only assume that these are all solid state, with class D power amps for the higher power models.

Weird considering the only real reason for having top mounted controls these days is that it can allow a more cost-effective and compact arrangement of the valves and speakers within a combo format.

Yeah, phrases like "valve-inspired" make me think it's probably SS circuits modeled to sound like valves - and I suppose valve bass combos are a bit of an unusual beast as it is. I suspect you're right - if there were any, you'd expect them to be waxing lyrical about how many different 6L6s or KT88s are in each stage, and so on.

7 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

...my fave band Booze & Glory are endorsed by Blackstar 

The band is endorsing the manufacturer, not the other way around, right? Otherwise it doesn't make sense. The idea is that the band is using their profile to spread the good word about the gear, not the other way around.

I have mixed feelings about this, it's great that someone from TE is working on them, but over in the guitar world, they've been lying about their amplifiers being "all tube" 

I find it hard to trust anything this company says or puts out, no matter how good they are. 

11 hours ago, Fisheth said:

I have mixed feelings about this, it's great that someone from TE is working on them, but over in the guitar world, they've been lying about their amplifiers being "all tube" 

I find it hard to trust anything this company says or puts out, no matter how good they are. 

How rife are these porkies? I was aware that the HT series were a valve pre but a SS power stage, but I was fairly certain that the Artisan series were all-tube...have I been mistaken all this time?

5 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

How rife are these porkies? I was aware that the HT series were a valve pre but a SS power stage, but I was fairly certain that the Artisan series were all-tube...have I been mistaken all this time?

The HT series was what I was referring to, they marketed them as "all tube" despite having SS shenanigans in them.

I've got no idea about the Artisan series 

19 hours ago, Fisheth said:

The HT series was what I was referring to, they marketed them as "all tube" despite having SS shenanigans in them.

I've got no idea about the Artisan series 

Ah, I didn't realise they were flogging the HT as all-tube...that is a bit cheeky. I do like my HT-1, but there's no way an amp that small has a valve pre AND power stage!

I have opened up an Artisan 15; didn't really stop to examine the wiring, but judging by the size, weight, number of valves and lack of PCBs, I could believe it's all tube. That, and it does sound incredible!

8 minutes ago, pburrows said:

I’ve pre ordered a 500w combo, 250w powered extension cab plus foot switch. Should arrive may/June. 

I know I've bashed Blackstar in the thread, but I love the idea of a cab that can give you an extra 250 watts and then it stacks with each additional cab.

That is trouser flapping cool.

On 1/26/2018 at 13:46, pburrows said:

I had a good chat with the engineer this morning about these. My band is endoresed by Blackstar so I'll be getting a 500w Combo + 250w Powered Cab in June when they first drop in the UK. To be honest I'm really excited, but a little nervous as I'm going to be moving on my Barefaced gear 

poor you!

as an amp tech i see quite a few blackstar amps, they tend to just have valve issues though, so not end of the world.

personally dont like the sound of them though as they tend to be really fizzly

2 hours ago, aitkenaudio said:

poor you!

as an amp tech i see quite a few blackstar amps, they tend to just have valve issues though, so not end of the world.

personally dont like the sound of them though as they tend to be really fizzly

lol. That's cool dude.

My local store, Sbsolute Music has a fantastic range of products but only two Bass ranges, Rumble and Markbass. For various reasons I would but neither. They are big Blackstar dealers so I asked if they would stock the Blackstar Bass amps. No they would continue with the two ranges.

Of course they could offer choice without growing their supplier bass by stocking Eden, Blackstar and Orange giving us bassist some choice but...

If the start morning that local people don’t support the shop then the reply is easy.