Why become a member? ×

Blackstar bass amps

Andytre

1 hour ago, tandark said:

As a rumble 500 combo user, these have familiar feature set, but expanded. Very interesting.

That was my first thought too...

I would have thought for their first foray into the world of bass there would have been a balls out, fire breathing, all valve, loss leading, monster of a head with a ridiculously large cab, just as a statement of intent. This may be more practical, but it's a bit... safe...

18 hours ago, Bigwan said:

That was my first thought too...

I would have thought for their first foray into the world of bass there would have been a balls out, fire breathing, all valve, loss leading, monster of a head with a ridiculously large cab, just as a statement of intent. This may be more practical, but it's a bit... safe...

When Blackstar first arrived on the scene I had them down as the brand who might take over from Marshall, early all tube design amps. Then they went down a major digital rabbit hole.
Probably makes sense for them to dip their toe into bass with a solid state platform first, maybe then we'll see a bassman clone/all tube design in the future if they feel the market would respond.

Personally whilst these look promising I love the simplicity and aesthetic of the rumble, these don't induce too much GAS for me.

Why are the controls on the top?

Sure it looks cool and retro, but it's also no longer the 1950s and we don't put our amps on the floor and stand behind them when we play any more.

As soon as you stack this or use a tilt-back stand you won't be able see the controls properly. 

Also no weights or dimensions given.

Back to the drawing board for Backstar I think.

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Why are the controls on the top?

Sure it looks cool and retro, but it's also no longer the 1950s and we don't put our amps on the floor and stand behind them when we play any more.

As soon as you stack this or use a tilt-back stand you won't be able see the controls properly. 

Also no weights or dimensions given.

Back to the drawing board for Backstar I think.

As much as these do look nice and have some nice features etc, I had exactly the same thought. Whilst I was only interested in the 30-60W versions for home practice I thought even with them on the floor or on a tilt back stand at home, it would be a pain to access everything. I think Markbass and Ashdown have the right idea this year with their small offset, front mounted combos.

20 hours ago, RichardH said:

The active extension cab's a neat idea.

If it's essentially a cab + power amp combo and priced competitively, it could be a quite a nice little unit for use with all kinds of pre-amps.

Not listing the weights makes me extremely suspicious.

edit: £379. Nope!

Edited by MartinB

I had a good chat with the engineer this morning about these. My band is endoresed by Blackstar so I'll be getting a 500w Combo + 250w Powered Cab in June when they first drop in the UK. To be honest I'm really excited, but a little nervous as I'm going to be moving on my Barefaced gear 

1 hour ago, pburrows said:

I had a good chat with the engineer this morning about these. My band is endoresed by Blackstar so I'll be getting a 500w Combo + 250w Powered Cab in June when they first drop in the UK. To be honest I'm really excited, but a little nervous as I'm going to be moving on my Barefaced gear 

Why not stick with what you like best?

3 hours ago, MartinB said:

If it's essentially a cab + power amp combo and priced competitively, it could be a quite a nice little unit for use with all kinds of pre-amps.

Not listing the weights makes me extremely suspicious.

edit: £379. Nope!

The active extension cab has me puzzled, especially at that price.

On 25/01/2018 at 12:11, Merton said:

I do believe these were designed by Paul Stevens (of Trace Elliot V8 and 2005 relaunch fame) though I may be wrong!

I spoke to Paul about the development of a Bass range when he left Trace Elliot. At the time he felt that TE (USA) weren't committed to developing a new range of TE amps for the 21st Century whereas Blackstar were fully committed to moving into the bass market.

I'm looking forward to trying one of these.

As said, very similar to the Fender Rumble, but with a few more features.
I like them, even if the controls are on the back :D it never bothered me on the Rumble I had. The Blackstars may be a little more versatile than the Rumbles. I watched a small clip of them being played at NAMM and they seem to sound good.

I'd be interested if I were in the market for a combo.

Guitarists in one of my bands went Blackstar a few years back and it failed during a festival gig not long after he had brought it , he had nothing but trouble with it for a while . I know there's always going to be bad luck for a few even with the best products , but I get worried when I see them at gigs 

3 hours ago, lojo said:

Guitarists in one of my bands went Blackstar a few years back and it failed during a festival gig not long after he had brought it , he had nothing but trouble with it for a while . I know there's always going to be bad luck for a few even with the best products , but I get worried when I see them at gigs 

I`ve heard others talk of similar experiences, but my fave band Booze & Glory are endorsed by Blackstar and have been touting pretty much solidly since last year and I`ve not heard of them having any issues with their gear. And their tour has been worldwide, so back of van kinda stuff - though flight-cased.