Why become a member? ×

New amp: Tech21 VT Bass 200 Combo

JSB

Looks great, compared to the case with guitars, there's a significant gap in the market for this type of combo for bass.

I kinda like that they've used a Ric in the marketing also, given other threads on BC it's nice that they still get respect in some quarters :)   

While I have much love for Tech21 products, the VT Bass never really cut it for me, but I guess that if you consider the legacy of the VT stuff (I've owned the rack and the BDDI stompbox versions), the class-D VT500 head has obviously paved the way for the combo. 

I am a little surprised that TC21 have put so much focus and effort into the VT series and it obviously works for a lot of people...IMPO the RPM/RBI/GED (and what I've seen of the dUg) all deliver tone head and shoulders over the VTBass, so maybe a few years down the line we'll see combo versions of the signature models at least.

Well it usually works out around the same numbers, just with a £ sign in front. Not bad, considering the VT DI is around £200+ if they do come in at around £500.

I`d like one to take to gigs as a small backup option in case the gear there isn`t that good, but it`s a fair chunk to spend on the off-chance of having to use it.

The Tech21 website is not clear on the output.  I.e. is it a 200 watt 1x12 combo, or is actually 140 watt @ 8 ohms, with 200 watts only being available with an additional 12" extension cabinet.  I hope it's the former with the option of an active extension cabinet - reckon that would be a nice gigable rig.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Tech21NYC said:

The wattage of the VT Bass 200 is about 150 watts with its internal speaker. With an 8 ohm extension speaker it's 200 watts. 

Thank you Tech21 - are you guys planning on releasing a matching 8ohm extension?

Any indication on when these combo's will be available in the UK?

22 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

@Tech21NYC You have a lot of love over this side of the pond.  We'd love to know what's going in in your R&D rather than the odd comment!

Sorry, I just don't have any more information at present. The amp was just released. I do know we have some here that will be shipping in the US very soon but don't have anymore information beyond that. I'd suggest checking out our Facebook page. Usually there is up to date information there.

@Tech21NYC, acording to your site, the Bite switch on the VTDI 'engages a presence boost and a subsonic filter'? I would equate subsonic filter with a HPF, although I note the page for the amp does only mentions the presence boost!

Interesting that this amp features a shift switch for the character knob as well as the mid knob. Shame the blend is gone though, I've become a fan of backing mine off to about 75% to retain some more of the original dynamics when the gain is pushed.

Edited by dannybuoy