Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky MetroExpress

thodrik

So it appears that Sadowsky are launching a new line of 'more affordable' versions of their 'more affordable' line of Japanese constructed basses. Apparently these are 'factory made' as opposed to the standard Metro line which is 'artisan made', i.e. in Sadowsky's Tokyo workshop. I was wondering what factory it actually is? They also appear to feature the same pickups, EQ and hardware as the standard Metro options but with no options in terms of spec and only a few colours, presumably to keep costs down. 

The US 'street' price is $1875 for four strings and $1975 for five strings. I'm guessing that this will end up being anywhere from £1400-£1600 when they hit the new market. At that price, (above a Lakland Skyline but below most US Fenders), I'm interested to see how they will fare in the UK market. It seems expensive to me personally but being 31, I am stuck in 2008 pricing when a US Standard Jazz was £800, a Musicman was about £1000, a Sandberg was £1100 and a Sadowsky Metro was £1300. This means that everything seems bloody expensive to me! Still, with basic versions of the Metro line going for over £2000 these days, this new line could be a better option. £1400 for a Japanese made Sadowsky as opposed to £2300 for a Japanese made Sadowsky with the same basic features would be appealing to me.

Anyway, pics are on the Sadowsky website.
https://www.sadowsky.com/metroexpress-hi-res-gallery/

Not to be overly critical, but they all look like good functional basses but none of them make me go 'wow, I need to try that'. Mind you, my Metro isn't particularly gorgeous either (the really plain bleached maple fingerboard on the Japanese made Sadowskys makes the bass look a bit generic compared to its price point to me), but it sounds brilliant. 

I'm interested to hear everybody's thoughts. Cheers in advance.

8 hours ago, thodrik said:

. . . . my Metro isn't particularly gorgeous either. . . .  but it sounds brilliant.

Mine has a killer sound as well.

The MetroExpress range is supposed to be fitted with the regular pickups and preamp, the same ones used in the NYC basses, so (hopefully) there should be little difference in the sound.

With the guaranteed weight being less than 9 lbs I'll be very interested to try one out.

This could be a really interesting range and I can’t wait to try one. Great weight and same build as USA (graphite rods and Nitro necks etc). They are going to sit a little higher than Lakland Skylines and it makes sense for Guitar Guitar to take them on as they stock Metros.

These and the Blackstar practice amps have interested me most from NAMM so far....

I can’t see these being much less than £2k and competing with the Fender Elites... Keen to play these though, I love my metro and I’m in the market for a 5 string jazz.

Edit: though Thomann has these listed at around £1800 for a 5, so undercutting the Elites!

Edited by TJ Spicer

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I'm sure they'll be great basses but I wonder about devaluing the brand.

Always seems a risk when a high value item does cheaper versions.

I thought the same thing, especially when Roger always says the setup is so key to the basses being what they are. Saying that, I think they have done well in keeping all electronics and hardware the same, substituting the pickups or offering “Sadowsky designed” parts would have been a poor move IMO.

We all know that Japanese factories can do exceptional work and if I was looking for a change of bass and an active jazz, I would be heading to this before I looked at Fender equivalent.

On 29/01/2018 at 12:08, fretmeister said:

I'm sure they'll be great basses but I wonder about devaluing the brand.

Always seems a risk when a high value item does cheaper versions.

There was a very interesting conversation on the recent Tone Talks podcast with John Suhr where they discuss the cost of making instruments in America, and how a lot of Americans talk about how much they want stuff to be made in America, but then balk at how much they’d have to pay for it. I think he mentioned how PRS would be in trouble if it weren’t for their SE series, etc. This is a business decision, I’m sure. I’ve visited Roger at his NYC workshop, own a Metro and an NYC guitar and have a Sadowsky preamp in another bass. I can understand why, in these times when inflation is pushing up the cost of US products, he sees the need to have something in his line that competes (and likely beats) with the likes of Fender et al. 

Edited by therealting
  • Like 1

No doubt it's a valid business decision - outside of the USA there is very little stigma against other countries making instruments anymore. My Indonesian Ibanez Jem is amazingly well built.

I suppose for me a Sadowsky is an aspirational instrument as they were only ever played by really successful players. I lusted after Jason Newsted's black and maple one.

I wonder if new players don't feel that way about PRS simply because the SE series exists - they are used to the SE's existing. 

According to Roger, this line will have the same pickups, pre-amp and hardware as the Metro line. Thomann have already listed the Metro Express range and they are between £1.680 to £1,800, depending on the number of strings. I can see hat Bass Direct will be a Sadowsky dealer soon, according to their website, so I am sure they will be bringing the line, as well as Guitar Guitar.

Will be interesting to see if there are any at the LBGS, but I guess it will be too soon. I recently got an Xotic and if the quality is anything like on this one, I am getting one! 

On 2/5/2018 at 09:36, Mike2tone said:

According to Roger, this line will have the same pickups, pre-amp and hardware as the Metro line. Thomann have already listed the Metro Express range and they are between £1.680 to £1,800, depending on the number of strings. I can see hat Bass Direct will be a Sadowsky dealer soon, according to their website, so I am sure they will be bringing the line, as well as Guitar Guitar.

Will be interesting to see if there are any at the LBGS, but I guess it will be too soon. I recently got an Xotic and if the quality is anything like on this one, I am getting one! 

Cool. It wouldn't surprise me if Bass Direct took in a few NYC models as well, as I see Thomann have a few for sale on their site. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thread resurrection, but I see that Guitar Guitar now have these available to order: £1799 for the five strings and £1699 for the four strings. Pretty much the same price as a Sandberg or Fender American Original. Pretty tough competition at the price point. Would certainly make for a fun visit to one of their shops to compare the three!

Will there be a noticeable difference in quality between the Metro Express and the standard Metroline? If the answer is no, then what is the appeal of the more expensive Metro line? If the answer is yes, then surely you would be better off buying the Sandberg or Fender or just save up for the standard Metro line?

NAMM 2030: introducing the Sadowsky Tramline: made in China, one colour scheme (black), maple board, special 'Sadowsky designed' pre-amp, bridge and tuners!

Sadowsky are certainly entering a fairly crowded area at that price point, especially if you open that up to what you can get secondhand for that kind of money.

The Sadowsky is a very different beast to the American original Fender and I would be as bold as to say that as good as Sandberg are, the Sadowsky name carries a bit more weight and pedigree for a lot of bass players.

I would be very surprised if there is a noticeable difference in sound between the Metros and the new Express models. There may be some noticeable differences in fretwork and feel of the neck but I would go out on a limb and say it won’t be worth the approx £700 difference between models.

So where is the appeal in the existing Metro range? I guess the same appeal that makes folks buy any variety of expensive instrument, because they have the money and are happy to spend that much. Also there is a certain level of exclusivity attached to it and a certain level of romanticism that the Metros are crafted in small batches by fine craftsmen in japan and not made in some generic factory that churns out models for almost every other guitar and bass company out there.

It will be really interesting to see the first lot of real world reviews come in.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NJE said:

Also there is a certain level of exclusivity attached to it and a certain level of romanticism that the Metros are crafted in small batches by fine craftsmen in japan and not made in some generic factory that churns out models for almost every other guitar and bass company out there.

I think that's it. I'd be surprised if there is any difference in build quality, Roger simply wouldn't allow it to be sold under his name. The frets will be perfect 99% of the time. It will sound exactly the same. I think you're right, it's the romanticism of being hand build by a small team, headed by a guitar who relocated for a year to study Roger's work in preparation. 

3 minutes ago, M@23 said:

I think that's it. I'd be surprised if there is any difference in build quality, Roger simply wouldn't allow it to be sold under his name. The frets will be perfect 99% of the time. It will sound exactly the same. I think you're right, it's the romanticism of being hand build by a small team, headed by a guitar who relocated for a year to study Roger's work in preparation. 

I’m pretty sure the build quality of the MetroExpress will still be very decent. If not, £100 spent on a fret dressing at your favourite luthier would make up the difference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Any bass with the Sadowsky name on it will be the best bass you can find at that price point, and now there are 4 price points rather than 2.

A lot of manufacturers should be very worried.

I completely agree, I think Roger comes across really passionate and quality focussed when he is interviewed. Apart from the new singlecut model, he hasn’t mucked around with his formula for basses in years, relying on jut making high quality versatile instruments.

The wording used around the Metro Express basses is interesting. They challenged the top factory in Japan to see if they could make a bass good enough. Roger hasn’t been around as long as he has by making bad choices and poor quality instruments.

edit: just to add, I am no Sadowsky fan boy, I have played a few and didn’t really get on with the sound, but everyone says it’s in a band they come alive. However the quality on all of them was just incredible.

Edited by NJE