Why become a member? ×

Mark E Smith RIP

ash

This hits hard for me, first Grant Hart and now Mark E Smith. The bands I loved in my younger days are starting to die off. Granted, the last time I saw them he was a shambling mess, like an old man with dementia let loose on stage, but when I saw them when he was in his prime, they were unstoppable. Unique.

I liked The Fall's music, but couldn't get on with M.E.S' vocals, nor his onstage persona.

But this morning I'm seeing how far through the Complete Peel Sessions 1978-2004 I can get through. It's a mere 97 tracks...

But he was certainly someone music needed.

Edited by bartelby

I read this little snippet last night and it made me smile

Fall’s contract to appear on Later … with Jools Holland included a clause stipulating that under no circumstances was the former Squeeze ivory tinkler to play “boogie-woogie piano anywhere near the Fall”

Like some others, I was never a fan but the people like MES don't seem to be being replaced in today's music scene. 

• Like 1

Though they were never among my absolute favourite of bands, and he would never have been among my favourite of lead singers,
I always had at least a liking for them. All through my punk youth -  the Fall were ever present.... they were just there, gigging all the time, where other bands just disappeared
As Maude says above - you don't see many characters like MES in today's music scene... if any....
MES's style, lyrics and delivery were certainly unique, and I think the music industry has lost yet another unique character and personality

I saw them several times, over many years. Live they could be so hit & miss, and this was almost always down to MES.
I recall seeing them at Ashton Court Festival in Bristol quite a few years back, and they were definitely not at their best
However, when I saw them play the very same set just a month or two later - they were great! They could be like that though

Impressive mass of albums recorded too. RIP Mark

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

I've read a couple of articles in The Guardian and just discovered that he suffered from stage fright and used drink to help him get up and perform, which did surprise me - I thought he just drank because he liked his beer! Last time I saw The Fall was in Wigan and he had to be dragged out of the boozer next door to the venue when it was time to take the stage. RIP MES.

Above all, Fall songs always have great big aggressive growly basslines, Steve Hanley era especially. Last 3 albums gave been really strong, Your future our clutter, particularly. My favourite Fall album changes regularly but then there is quite a few to choose from.

RiP MES.

• Like 1

This is a hard one for me.

The Fall have been a part of my musical landscape since I was about 18. I got into them around the early 90's 'Code-Selfish'/'Shift-Work' era.

Moreover, the bass playing (particularly during the Steve Hanley era) was of great influence on me. I'm no the rabid fan I once was, but I still checked in with every new album.

Saw them a few times - the first, in November '97, was at a very 'troubled' time for MES and the band. Dates nearly didn't happen, and within months, there was the massive New York dust up, and the band changed forever with the departure of Mr. Hanley. The stage was a mass of fractured energy - I've never seen a gig like it before or since.

Caught them a couple more times since, the last in 2010....not a great one, as the band performed for little over 45 minutes, and the whole thing was a bit phoned in. But as has been said, you never knew what you were going to get, so we still came away happy!

Goodbye, MES - a true individual and one off. End of an era.

My introduction to The Fall was the excellent Bingo-Masters Breakout, I think it was on the Burning Ambitions double album, I heard a few other tracks which I liked, I saw a couple of live performances on TV (if that makes sense) which convinced me they were probably not a band I would want to see live, MES was a real character not really found in today's more bland pop stars.....Rip MES