IMG_5846.JPG

IMG_5847.JPG

IMG_5848.JPG

IMG_5849.JPG

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Love it, no scratch plate is the way!!

Si

I was considering it on my p bass kit build doing it 51 style with no pickguard but decided to go 72 style pickguard instead

But looking at the way this bass turned out I think I made the wrong decision......>:(

Edited by Jimothey

3 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I was considering it on my p bass kit build doing it 51 style with no pickguard but decided to go 72 style pickguard instead

But looking at the way this bass turned out I think I made the wrong decision......>:(

I like both of them.

@Jimothey.  Stick to your guns mate.  Your block 'inlays' in black need the balance of your all black pick guard.  All the black hardware you've used then has a context and the exposed grain pops all the more for it.  I like the lack of chrome on yours.  My own twist on that would be matt black hardware throughout with a matt pick guard.

@Niall6002.  The chrome hardware on natural finish is consistent and therefore appropriate.  The only two dark items being the black pick up and the deep brown tug bar, I'd say you have the balance right for this instrument.

That's a beautiful finish.  May I ask if the ten coats each of Danish and Gunstock oils went according to plan?  I'm assuming a wipe on method was used to apply it.

Edited by SpondonBassed

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I like both of them.

@Jimothey.  Stick to your guns mate.  Your block 'inlays' in black need the balance of your all black pick guard.  All the black hardware you've used then has a context and the exposed grain pops all the more for it.  I like the lack of chrome on yours.  My own twist on that would be matt black hardware throughout with a matt pick guard.

That’s my Jazz kit build the black strap buttons and string tree have now arrived but still waiting for the tuner ferrules, I’m also doing a Precision kit build that I’m doing Red with P pups and a cream ‘72 style tele bass pickguard which I was considering not having a pickguard on 

Edited by Jimothey

I don't usually go in for natural Fender-type basses, but that looks wonderful! Health to enjoy!

On a related note, may I ask where you found the soldering iron stand with the magnifier and solder reel holder? Want!

31 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

That’s my Jazz kit build the black strap buttons and string tree have now arrived but still waiting for the tuner ferrules, I’m also doing a Precision kit build that I’m doing Red with P pups and a cream ‘72 style tele bass pickguard which I was considering not having a pickguard on 

Sorry for the confusion, my mistake.

4 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I like both of them.

@Niall6002.  The chrome hardware on natural finish is consistent and therefore appropriate.  The only two dark items being the black pick up and the deep brown tug bar, I'd say you have the balance right for this instrument.

That's a beautiful finish.  May I ask if the ten coats each of Danish and Gunstock oils went according to plan?  I'm assuming a wipe on method was used to apply it.

Yes a wipe on method was used, squares of quality kitchen roll folded up into a two inch pad is my best solution,

patience is needed if you apply a coat too soon over a previous coat you can get a run,

what I do is I set the body up on my kitchen table and 3 to 4 times a day apply a coat to one side as I pass through the kitchen,

easy finish to get right and easy to fix a blemish.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bigwan said:

I don't usually go in for natural Fender-type basses, but that looks wonderful! Health to enjoy!

On a related note, may I ask where you found the soldering iron stand with the magnifier and solder reel holder? Want!

The soldering iron and stand is wonderful, the magnifier has a ring of bright LED lights on the underside as my eyes are getting old,

it also has helping hands and another clip on a flexible arm,

soldering iron was included,

Lidl €40.

jan 18 105.JPG

jan 18 106.JPG

jan 18 107.JPG

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Niall6002 said:

Yes a wipe on method was used, squares of quality kitchen roll folded up into a two inch pad is my best solution,

patience is needed if you apply a coat too soon over a previous coat you can get a run,

what I do is I set the body up on my kitchen table and 3 to 4 times a day apply a coat to one side as I pass through the kitchen,

easy finish to get right and easy to fix a blemish.

Was the body  sealed when you bought it or did you do that before the stain ? Apparently, if you stain bare wood that hasn't been sealed, you get patchy staining.

As i say, i only read that. I wouldn't know myself

1 hour ago, Niall6002 said:

The soldering iron and stand is wonderful, the magnifier has a ring of bright LED lights on the underside as my eyes are getting old,

it also has helping hands and another clip on a flexible arm,

soldering iron was included,

Lidl €40.

jan 18 105.JPG

jan 18 106.JPG

jan 18 107.JPG

Ha! Missed the Parkside logo before or i would have known! Don't often be in Lidl, but I'll get my folks to keep an eye out for ext time they're in stock.

9 hours ago, fleabag said:

Was the body  sealed when you bought it or did you do that before the stain ? Apparently, if you stain bare wood that hasn't been sealed, you get patchy staining.

As i say, i only read that. I wouldn't know myself

The stain was in the Danish oil,

so was easy to apply and more coats = darker shade,

gunstock oil to finish is clear and just adds gloss and protection without affecting the resonance of the body,

an easy finish to get right.