Why become a member? ×

Earthquaker Westwood Drive?

radiophonic

Anyone checked this out yet? They have rather cheekily described it as a 'translucent' overdrive. Based on Bill & Ted's YouTube review, on guitar, I thought 'OK'. On bass, I though 'very promising' in a big Ampeg type of way.  I notice the bass EQ operates around 80Hz, so no control over the super low end. They are marketing it towards bass as well as guitar though. If anyone round here stocks it, I'd be pretty keen to try it out and stop worrying about running my Pork Loin at 18v...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm thinking about buying an Earthquaker Devices Westwood, it sounds awesome in the videos I have watched online. But I'm triying to decide between this and the Darkglass Alpha Omicron, which I see you have o your pedalboard too... In some settings, the Westwood reminds me of a Darkglass VMT, so can the Alpha Omicron make some of the Westwood sounds? Or are they very different pedals? Which one is better for a low mid "always on" OD? Thanks!!

I've not had a look for any more recent videos of it on bass, but note that all of Patrick Hunter's demos are recorded into a Line6 Ampeg model and Juan from pedals and effects into a mic'ed up SVT. So both have a heavily coloured slightly dirty tone as their clean baseline, which means you aren't just hearing the pedal there. They could be demoing a clean boost pedal that would sound like a great overdrive since it's just pushing the amp into more saturation. Always try and find clips of whatever you're interested in recorded direct to contrast and compare!

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 2

In fact, this thing you comment they do (that I didn't know, by the way) is very useful to me, because my clean tone is sansamp BDDI with SVT settings, with a little amount of overdrive. So, maybe what I hear in the videos gets closer to what I will get...But thanks for the advice, you're right. The problem is that for the moment, there are no more videos of this pedal on bass.

2 hours ago, Nil said:

In fact, this thing you comment they do (that I didn't know, by the way) is very useful to me, because my clean tone is sansamp BDDI with SVT settings, with a little amount of overdrive. So, maybe what I hear in the videos gets closer to what I will get...But thanks for the advice, you're right. The problem is that for the moment, there are no more videos of this pedal on bass.

Your closest reference the two videos mentioned, however to compare this to the omicron the westwood can get 65/70% a kinda similar sound but they are honestly very different the omicron is way more versatile with the two drive engines, but with the if you just want a simple low gain gain drive the westwood is worth a shout do be prepared to crank the bass control tho 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The more I watch the two demos, the most confused I am...I'm trying to get close to the sound of the bass in this song. You can hear it clear at 4:00 and clearer at 14:00.

Which one of the two would help me to get closer to this sound? I see similarities in both pedals...