Why become a member? ×

Do up current bass or buy a new one?

ZenX

Hi all,

Attached is a picture of my current bass; it's an Aria 'Legend' series jazz copy that I've had since school (so quite a while now... O.o) and it's OK. I upgraded the pickups to Seymour Duncans, and I'm quite happy with the amplified sound, but it's been dinged to hell (not visible, chunks taken out of the underside, my plan is to smooth them over with some black Sugru). I am in a band where I'm tuned CFA#D# using the bottom strings of a 5-string set, and I have widened the nut slots accordingly. I've made my best attempt at getting the intonation and action right but there's still some buzz around the higher frets and I'm sure the low string could be a bit snappier.

IMG_20180124_145339906.thumb.jpg.e6d84980a7a0b797b2cb6ae4ecadcc1e.jpg

So now I'm getting back into playing in a band after a long time away, and I'd like people's opinions on whether I should:

A: Tart my current bass up a bit (thinking black scratchplate and new black bridge hardware) and get a professional set-up done on it...

OR

B: Get myself a new or second-hand Ibanez SR series 5-string (got some money coming in from selling a guitar, and have a valve guitar head to sell).

Essentially, will I get better value for money from sticking with what I've got, or from buying a new (to me) bass?

Thanks for your help.

Should clarify, reason for GAS-ing over the Ibanez SR series is that my guitarist let me use one at a rehearsal and I was impressed by the weight and playability, but didn't have time to get to grips with the EQ.

"Doing up" your current bass will not typically increase its value should you come to sell it (unless you remove the upgrades and sell separately), despite what some folks around here seem to think :dash1:

If you found an Ibanez at the right price I'd go for that instead if I were you...

Sounds like it's a good time to try a new bass if you've had that one for so long... but I would try and visit a few shops and play as many basses as possible first as it sounds like you have GAS for the SR just because it was refreshingly different to your old bass. You might find you really gel with a Jazz/Precision/Stingray/Thunderbird/whatever even more than the SR!

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dannybuoy said:

Sounds like it's a good time to try a new bass if you've had that one for so long... but I would try and visit a few shops and play as many basses as possible first as it sounds like you have GAS for the SR just because it was refreshingly different to your old bass.

I agree, I've had this since the world was new, seems like. Also tempted by the Sterling Music Man Sub Ray series. Or I could just get another Jazz...

Other suggestions are welcome of course...

Generally I'd only advocate spending on doing the bass up if you especially like it and want to keep on using it.  As Bigwan says, you're unlikely to recoup the outlay if you decide to sell later.  Why not keep the bass as a back-up and buy another of what you fancy.....you can never have enough basses!

You could do much worse than the Sterling SUB, it'll offer a different tone pallet to a Jazz

Edited by martthebass

15 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Sounds like it's a good time to try a new bass if you've had that one for so long... but I would try and visit a few shops and play as many basses as possible first as it sounds like you have GAS for the SR just because it was refreshingly different to your old bass. You might find you really gel with a Jazz/Precision/Stingray/Thunderbird/whatever even more than the SR!

I'm with dannybuoy on this. Go out there and try out as many basses within your budget as you can (and maybe upward too) to get a good feel of what else is out there and what suits you best.  

I say keep the Aria, it will be worth next to nothing second hand and you can slowly upgrade over time. But if it's not perfect then go and get another bass, but make sure it's sufficiently different in terms of pickups etc so that you have two very different basses, not just an Aria jazz and another jazz-ish bass. 

As said before, get and try as many as you can, should be a good few shops within your reach. If you find a bass you love and feels right, sounds right - it will give your playing a boost - so a win win situation.

Buy another bass.  Over the years I've spent £100s on my "project" bass in a vain attempt to get a fantastic bass on the cheap, but it's never been as good as the basses I've bought complete  and it's residual value is ziltch.  Not that it hasn't been fun.  And there are some great second hand bargains, especially if you don't need something fashionable or collectable.

• Like 1