Why become a member? ×

Newtone Strings

Kevin Dean

Not used rotos for some time but I reckon so...  I've been using a custom set of newtone's on my Dingwall since last year as I find the stock sets too heavy, and I find them excellent quality. Still got a set on that I fitted around September last year, and they still have plenty of life left in them. I also like the fact that they do custom sets. The only down side is that you may have to wait a couple of weeks for them, but if you allow for this then it's not a problem...

• Thanks 1

I swapped to custom-made Newtone strings back in the mid 90s when the only alternatives for 5-string basses were Rotosound and Elites neither of which, back then, were delivering me the consistency that I required. In fact I gave up on Rotosound when they failed to be able to supply a suitable low B string in 3 out of the 4 sets I got.

For the next 10 years  I had Newtone make all my bass strings for me and without exception they were excellent. Since then the availability of other makes of strings has increased substantially, and for the most part I've been perfectly happy with Warwick Red Label, which are relatively cheap and fairly easy to get if you buy on-line.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I swapped to custom-made Newtone strings back in the mid 90s when the only alternatives for 5-string basses were Rotosound and Elites neither of which, back then, were delivering me the consistency that I required. In fact I gave up on Rotosound when they failed to be able to supply a suitable low B string in 3 out of the 4 sets I got.

For the next 10 years  I had Newtone make all my bass strings for me and without exception they were excellent. Since then the availability of other makes of strings has increased substantially, and for the most part I've been perfectly happy with Warwick Red Label, which are relatively cheap and fairly easy to get if you buy on-line.

The only trouble I have is that My Shuker is 36" scale

36 minutes ago, Kevin Dean said:

The only trouble I have is that My Shuker is 36" scale

Shouldn't be a problem. Owning a 36" scale bass was exactly why I switched to Newtone strings. It was only when I went back to 34" scale basses that I also discovered there was a lot more variety available if you shopped on-line.

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Shouldn't be a problem. Owning a 36" scale bass was exactly why I switched to Newtone strings. It was only when I went back to 34" scale basses that I also discovered there was a lot more variety available if you shopped on-line.

The warwick don't give a scale length , I've tried Elixir , & Roto Sound   , The others I've had to cut the silk winding back because it went over the nut .

• 1 month later...

I've just received a set of Newtone  made for my 36" shuker  & the G string  is only just long enough to go around the machine head once & slips off :( . I must admit the head stock is quite long , I've spoken to them & they are going to try to make a slightly longer one but not sure if their machine is long enough .  I wonder what it is that makes some strings last longer than others ? 

I moved to short scale basses and my first, which was an ACG, was fitted with Newtone strings and I now have them on all three basses. I like buying British, you get to talk directly to the company and there service is great. Yep, you may wait a little longer but allow for that and there is no problem.

I also thought that if a top quality luthier fits them then they must be good.

• Like 1

Another vote of confidence for Newtone strings here!

I also used them in the 90's like BigRedX, as a result of the costs of 6 string bass sets here in the UK, for the cost of one set of DR's from The Bass Gallery, I could get two custom made sets from Newtone, and they were just as good! I stopped using them too, in favour of Warwick Red Labels, this is getting spooky!

When I started playing 33" basses however, I wanted to get a better fit and Newtone came to the rescue, and haven't really used anything ever since.
I now play 31.5" basses exclusively, and Newtone wind me a perfect set, 125 100 80 60 40 28 - wound on heavier cores to make them feel tighter, much like the same set on a 34" bass and they work amazingly well.

I only wish they made flatwounds...

I find that they last a long old time, as long as any other strings I've had, I always found Rotosounds dulled VERY quickly for me, but everyone is different and perhaps my sweat is kryptonite for Swing Bass strings.

Eude

• Like 1

I've used Newtones for years and found them to be consistent, great sounding and excellent value for money. I've fallen away from them in the last 3-4 years as I've started using Flat and Tapewounds a lot more, unfortunately Newtone only make Rounds.
I wouldn't hesitate in using their Rounds again, however.

Without wanting to derail from Newtone, it's worth noting that La Bella publishes a string guide that might be helpful with regards to wound length of their strings:
http://www.labella.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/La-Bella-Strings-Bass-Scale-Guide.pdf

Cheers
Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Kevin Dean said:

I've just received a set of Newtone  made for my 36" shuker  & the G string  is only just long enough to go around the machine head once & slips off :( . I must admit the head stock is quite long , I've spoken to them & they are going to try to make a slightly longer one but not sure if their machine is long enough .  I wonder what it is that makes some strings last longer than others ? 

What's the machine head arrangement of your bass?

11 hours ago, Kevin Dean said:

All on one side , quite a long headstock  but Roto sound & elixir  extra long sets were long  enough.

I'm not surprised that the G doesn't fit. IME 5 a side headstocks are cumbersome enough, I can't imagine one attached to a 36" scale bass. My Overwaters were all 4+1 layout, and the headstock was still slightly compressed from the standard Fender size, to make everything a comfortable reach.