gareth

Mark Knopfler's solo albums

I now have all of these.

seriously under rated?

i think so

maybe just fits my mood of late but some lovely songs and musicianship.

• Like 1

They're great. I've got Sailing to Philadelphia and Tracker, and there's some awesome, tasteful songwriting and playing.

It's all very understated, but i think it must take a lot of confidence to show such restraint and leave so much space in songs.

Top guitar player whose tone, touch and phrasing you can identify immediately.

Edited by bassbiscuits

4 minutes ago, gareth said:

I now have all of these.

seriously under rated?

i think so

I've been listening to his solo stuff alot lately too, fantastic song writing and some of the session players like Michael McGoldrick and John McCusker on uillean pipes, low whistles, bouzouki etc work so well on the material... do you have a favourite song Gareth?

They’re astonishing.

Heart Full of Holes... Cleaning My Gun... so many great tunes, and IMO he’s one of the greatest lyricists alive today.

Incidentally, check out the DS demo of The Secondary Waltz on YouTube to see how a song can evolve over the years...

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

They’re astonishing.

Heart Full of Holes... Cleanilg My Gun... so many great tunes, and IMO he’s one of the greatest lyricists alive today.

Incidentally, check out the DS demo of The Secondary Waltz on YouTube to see how a song can evolve over the years...

Hill farmer's blues... Postcards from Paraguay... Song for a drowned submariner... fabulous songs... I agree he is one of the greatest songwriters ever!

"I keep a weather eye on the horizon, my back to the wall
I like to know who's coming through the door, that's all..."

What a great opening lyric....

33 minutes ago, gareth said:

I now have all of these.

seriously under rated?

i think so

Same. I agree. Amazing musician and song writer. I love the duet Album with EmmyLou Harris too. All quality stuff

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TommyK said:

Same. I agree. Amazing musician and song writer. I love the duet Album with EmmyLou Harris too. All quality stuff

Yep, I love 'All the Roadrunning' too.

1 hour ago, Tradfusion said:

I've been listening to his solo stuff alot lately too, fantastic song writing and some of the session players like Michael McGoldrick and John McCusker on uillean pipes, low whistles, bouzouki etc work so well on the material... do you have a favourite song Gareth?

Yes I got tracker today and I've had song 8 lights of Taormina on repeat - I swear I can hear ry cooders slide in there, maybe not but it's very good

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

It's all very understated, but i think it must take a lot of confidence to show such restraint and leave so much space in songs.

Yes you're right, it's all understated.

and space, why do people not like space?

in the bands it's a pet theme of mine to band mates - don't be afraid of space, it's all part of dynamics - honestly, doesn't just bass and drums on their own sound great?

Superb musician. "Crushed by tub or stone, together and alone, how the young and old, paid the price of coal"  Touching lyrics from 5.15 AM.

A friend of mine was one of the engineers on a couple of the 80s records. Apparently Mark asked him to engineer a quick demo, which Matt remembers as one of the most miserable songs he ever heard. A few months later he hears a tune on the radio, and it took him ages to place it, then he remembered the demo. Tina Turner/ Private Dancer. Love Knopfler’s work as i do I think him singing that would be a bit much! 

Yeah he's no singer, but that spoken style works well on his solo stuff. 

Maybe that's why his guitar playing is so melodic and vocal instead!

3 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

Does 'Neck and Neck' count?

Was that the Chett Atkins one?

I got over exposed to that as a kid on long car journeys.

I started off quite liking it, after thousandth listen, not so much.

That's not really the albums fault though.

Yup, that's the one. Used to love it to bits but haven't listened to it for years.

Used to have it on CD but lent it to a student one day, forgot who I lent it to and never saw it again. :sad:

His soundtrack for "Cal" remains one of my favourite instrumental albums, much more atmouspheric than the better known one for "Local hero"

5 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

His soundtrack for "Cal" remains one of my favourite instrumental albums, much more atmouspheric than the better known one for "Local hero"

I haven't even started listening to his film scores, with the exception of local hero

i must start delving

where to start?

1 minute ago, gareth said:

I haven't even started listening to his film scores, with the exception of local hero

i must start delving

where to start?

Cal as suggested is an excellent place to start... very moody but beautiful soundtrack which suited the film perfectly... another gem is the soundtrack to The Princess Bride, some lovely Knopfler moments on that too 

14 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

Yup, that's the one. Used to love it to bits but haven't listened to it for years.

Used to have it on CD but lent it to a student one day, forgot who I lent it to and never saw it again. :sad:

I used to like these two

I just realised that Chett Atkins looks like George W Bush Jr.

Edited by Cato

It was Knopfler's C&W period IIRC. xD

Some lovely phrasing in the instrumentals, and one of my all-time favourite song lines: "I'm confessin' I never took a lesson; all my notes are a matter of guessin' ". A few people not a million miles from this thread could say that about themselves I bet. No names of course... :ph34r:

Edited by leftybassman392

One of my favourite things Mark did was the ‘Chet Atkins and Friends’ concert. His playing throughout

is exemplarary, and The Everly Brothers version of ‘Why worry’ is amazing.

6 hours ago, leftybassman392 said:

Some lovely phrasing in the instrumentals, and one of my all-time favourite song lines: "I'm confessin' I never took a lesson; all my notes are a matter of guessin' ". A few people not a million miles from this thread could say that about themselves I bet. No names of course... :ph34r:

I fall into that category :-D

13 hours ago, leftybassman392 said:

Most of the best guitarists from the 60s and 70s would fall into that category. Where would you have gone for a "Rock " guitar lesson back then? they were still making it up in their bedrooms, trying to copy licks from vinyl, like we all were.