Why become a member? ×

Recording interface

Danuman

Hi all,

Some of you may have seen my earlier post, about the issues I was having with connecting my new laptop to my older firewire mixer.

At this point I'm looking at spending an annoying amount of money to be able to hook up just the mixer. The added bonus is there's no guarantee that it will actually work, let alone that it'll be anything even remotely dependable. Add to that the likely necessity for other adapters, and well... you probably get the point.

I looked around a bit, but I'm not sure there's a whole lot on the market that can do what I want.

I'd like a relatively simple interface that can be used with Logic for home productions, but most of all I want to be able to do multitrack live recordings. 
My current mixer has 8 XLR preamps (2 Hi-Z, which is nice) + 8 line inputs, which allows me to be reasonably flexible, although at times it already requires a bit of invention (which I sort of like, I suppose).

Here's a typical setup:

• 2 Vocal mics
  • 4 Drum mics
  • Guitar mic
  • Keys (L/R, line) or Harmonica (mic'ed amp)
  • Bass (DI)

So I suppose the minimum requirements are at least 8 mic preamps and two line inputs - plus a decided lack of FireWire - on a reasonable budget.

What interface would you like?

Cheers,

Dan

Have you looked at using mixing desks as interfaces?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/mackie-dl32r-32-channel-digital-mixer-dl32r

This is quite a good deal - 32 ins, 32 out - 14 analogue outs (16 if you include the TRS outs)... is a formidable multitrack recorder in it's own right (records multitrack direct to HD without the need for a laptop or additional i/o card - just drop the recording from the disk into your DAW). All the sockets are built in to the unit without needing breakout boxes (e.g. unlike the X32 rack).

Great mixer, great recording interface. You can expand it to handle Dante too if you want to go down that route.

Kinda also depends upon you already having an ipad though... which you may or may not have.

All that power, in just 3u.

If you haven't got an iPad, you may consider the QSC Touchmix 30 as it has a touchscreen built in (also allows remote control via iPad). I know that these are pricey - but they are relatively portable and offer outrageous ins and outs for the money.

There's also the X32 Rack - that hasn't got all the I/O available unless you buy breakout boxes - but what is on board by default would probably suit you. Its big advantage is that it's controllable by android/ipad and PC/Mac. It can act as a recording interface, however the direct to SD recorder expansion card has just been released.

It's a shame that the Touchmix 16 can't be a recording interface as that would suit the bill nicely - and offers multitrack recording without being connected to a DAW.

Edited by EBS_freak

Hang on, hang on!

Brain wave.

Behringer XR18 / Midas  MR18 is an interface as well as a mixer! ipad/android/pc/mac control. Midas would probably be the nicer out of the two to have if you want to do recording at home as the preamps are a little bit nicer than the standard ones on the Behringer.

• Thanks 1

Great suggestions guys! :)

I like Motu stuff, but seeing that I recently raided my already fairly limited budget, it's a tad pricey.

The 18 inputs of the Midas look very appealing, though I wonder how it would handle without a tablet. Truth be told, I wish it were a little more straightforward, but I'm definitely checking it out!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Danuman said:

Great suggestions guys! :)

I like Motu stuff, but seeing that I recently raided my already fairly limited budget, it's a tad pricey.

The 18 inputs of the Midas look very appealing, though I wonder how it would handle without a tablet. Truth be told, I wish it were a little more straightforward, but I'm definitely checking it out!

It's very straight forward - the app for your computer is very good - so useful at home and on gigs, which ever controller/tablet etc you are using. And you can also get a fader board for it if you must have sliders.