Why become a member? ×

Dots for Babylons Burning

Woodinblack

I have a need to play Babylons Burning, by the Rutts.

I have no problem for the most part, but the 'with anxiety' part, on the record the first one is at 29 seconds, the chorus I guess - I really can't hear what the bass is doing at the start, other than it is doing a lot more than all the tabs do. Well, there actually seem to be two sets of tabs on the net, ones that are completely wrong, and the ones that are right for the rest of it!

Also the only videos on youtube is a guy playing the obvious easy part, and videos of the Rutts which either just focus on the singer, or are recorded in such low res you can't really see the people let alone the neck of the bass.

Anyone got anything? Tabs / notes / random hints / video of someone doing it.

listened to a live version I think it's more like this, could be wrong though

G |------------------------------------------------------
D |-----0-5-7-5-0----7-10-7-10-7-10----------------------
A |---------------8---------------------------------------

E |------------------------------------------------------

Anyone want a nice bit of Ruts trivia?

If you're familiar with the live version of Human Punk off The Crack album...when it drops out at the end and Malcolm Owen says they're going to be on the new Ruts album, you hear a young bloke going, 'Awwwww....Human Punk.'  Well, a few years later he was my best man.

LOL.

• Like 2

Another useless bit of Ruts trivia but guitarist Paul Fox played drums for me a few times in a jam band I was in circa 2007, just before he died. He got up and did Babylon's Burning, flicking everything to full on a 40w Fender tube amp - it was the loudest most punk rock I ever saw. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I got the one from the notes above and it fits perfectly, plus its a good shape to play. It seems very similar to what they are playing.

babylons.png

yep closer than my shaby effort but I wouldn't be able to play the F after the first note and the return to the D (7th note) at this speed, not so sure Segs Jennings does either (on the version I've got) but I could change my mind tomorrow :facepalm:

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

yep closer than my shaby effort but I wouldn't be able to play the F after the first note and the return to the D (7th note) at this speed, not so sure Segs Jennings does either (on the version I've got) but I could change my mind tomorrow :facepalm:

Its fast but it is only two movements, with a slide between, and that actually makes it a lot easier than it would seem. I still mess it up most times, but when I get it right it is great.

Actually the things I often get wrong is getting the timing wrong on the first note

5 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

I've been fiddling around with it and I get this:

5a6aef528f837_TabWriter-babylonsburningchorus.jpg.518d7f7b962159cbd54c5bca3d05c4d2.jpg

It looks to me like the 5th fret D's are played on the open string by Segs (looking at some of the later Ruts DC video). I find it easier to fret the note.

that's more or less the way I've settled on playing it though I do think it's a D (on the A string) not an E on the second part

Edited by PaulWarning

What a great song it is! Superb bass line too :)
It's songs like this that make me wish I was in a punk band again lol
Saw the Ruts recently (last year, supporting the Stranglers) Oddly enough, I missed seeing them back in the day....
Despite the grim reaper, and all the years gone by - they were absolutely brilliant!

18 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

that's more or less the way I've settled on playing it though I do think it's a D (on the A string) not an E at the end

Looking at more ruts dc vids it looks like he is hitting the open D, so you are right. I heard it as D myself, but then I second-guessed myself into the chord tone.

It's interesting watching bands covering this on youtube, none of the bass lines are correct, and all the tab is wrong too.

loads of songs get played differently by bands live, how many times have we watched a band doing a song and thought that's not the way I play it?, hell, even bands that recorded the song play the bass line differently when they've got a different bass player in, in the then end if you play a bass line differently to the record I doubt whether anyone would know, but it is nice to get it spot on.

I've been playing Babylons Burning off and on for years, not like this but nobody said anything, tbh until the John Peel version I hadn't got a clue what Segs Jennings was playing on the first part of the chorus it is inaudible on the record

• 3 years later...