Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror woes - lack of volume, scrunchy paper sound

MrTea

My Orange Bass Terror 500 seems to have developed an issue whereby I've got very little volume and the sound can only be described as crackly on top - a kind of a scrunching paper sound. I've tried plugging straight into the effect return and the problem persists so I'm pretty sure this isn't a valve issue. 

I know the solution is probably to take it to my nearest tech but anyone have any ideas? 

If it is a job for a tech are there any recommendations near Teignmouth/Newton Abbot in South Devon? 

Any help much appreciated.

I know early OTB500s suffered from an issue with capacitors becoming unseated on the power supply board which might be related, but it really could be any number of things. A single dodgy resistor would cause this and that's a 2p component! You mention that the problem persists when you plug into the effects return, but is it present on the effects send too? Maybe try a line out to something else. What about the DI out? All this info could help diagnose the issue.

But yes, if you don't know one end of a soldering iron from another or don't know what an oscilloscope is, take it to a professional. By the way, if you (or anybody else) has need of the schematics for the Orange Terror 500 I have them.

Edited by Bigwan

Well there's obviously mains voltage in there that would have to be exposed to properly diagnose any issue so safer taking it to someone qualified. But it could be something relatively minor (he says setting himself up for a fall!).

Edited by Bigwan

Having just had a nosey at the aforementioned schematics, there is a valve section AFTER the effects return and DI output (just before the signal is sent to power amp) so you might want to try swapping valves before you go further.

Mine died a couple of years ago... It was several years old, out of warranty, and I bought it used, but I took it into PMT (as they are an Orange dealer) who sent it to Orange for repair and all I had to pay was £25 to cover the courier costs. Worth a try!

Thanks @dannybuoy.

I'd read something similar elsewhere so I'd already shot Orange an email. And right enough they got back to me suggesting to send it to them and they're sure they can fix it at less than a local tech could. I've no idea what the cost will be yet (it'll arrive with them this morning) but the very helpful chap at Orange suggested they haven't had to charge more than £100 for a repair on a OBT yet.

Fingers crossed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the update ... The head went back to Orange and I've just had an email from them saying that they've fixed the issue. Here's what they've said (I'm assuming that the issue would have required a little soldering and wasn't just a badly seated valve as I'd tried switching them out/reseating them a few times before I sent it to them):

The crackling in the audio was caused by a bad connection between one of the valves and the socket so nothing serious. I also noticed the active/passive switch wasn't working.
Since we don't have any of those switches in stock I've replaced the entire preamp circuit board in your amplifier. At the same time this gives you fresh valve sockets so you definitely won't have any problems with those anymore.
It would be unfair for me to charge you for the entire PCB just because we don't have a switch in stock so I'm not going to charge you for any of the parts.

I've paid them for labour and shipping but so far this seems fantastic customer service. I'll post another update once I get the head back.

• Like 6

@andy67 - Good to hear.

My BT500 came back today well packed and wrapped in the box I sent it in. I've given it a quick blast and seems like the problems all fixed (I didn't expect any less). They've also helpfully included a service report listing the following:

Diagnosis of fault
Dodgy valve sockets, bad solder contacts, broken Active/Passive switch

Action taken
Replaced preamp board, set clock frequencies, tested

Considering I ended up paying less than 2 hours bench fee at my local tech including shipping in both directions I couldn't be happier. Thank you Orange for providing fantastic after sales service!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My TB500 came home yesterday. Required lots of repairs, email from Mikko: 

Hi.

Just to let you know your Terror Bass 500 has been repaired and is ready to be sent back to you as soon as we've received payment.

There were a few things wrong with your amplifier. The front of the amplifier had suffered some damage, the control panel was slightly bent and 3 control pots were snapped from the circuit board. They were still making slight contact so the controls were still sort of  functional but that's where all that crackling was coming from.
There was also a filter capacitor in the power supply circuit that had snapped off the board and it was making all sorts of crazy pops when turning the amp to standby or off.

I've sorted all of this out, calibrated the clock frequencies and cleaned the pots and contacts. 

The total cost of the repair including labour, parts, shipping + VAT amounts to £47.40.
You can pay this via debit/credit card or PayPal by calling our sales team on 0208 905 2828.

Have to say, what a fab experience with Orange 👍  

• Like 5