Why become a member? ×

Softening your opinion towards the nice blokes

Barking Spiders

38 minutes ago, jazzmanb said:

I think we are guilty of going the other way these days

We know everything about everyone and form opinions that have little to do with the job they do

Back in the day you got into a band and apart from the odd interview or tv appearance you knew nothing about them,you didn't really care,you loved the music.Not their politics,infidelity,drug habit etc

I hear a lot of "can't stand him,he was on telly the other day,what a tosser etc" in answer to wether you like the band

Good point jazzmanb.....
As you say, years back, you heard very little about what an artist or band had to say - apart from the odd interview
You just got "news" about them from (infrequent) interviews or "quotes" from them from the press.... which is as unreliable a source as it ever was...

On 1/24/2018 at 11:23, petebassist said:

I remember seeing Brian Johnson interviewed a few years ago, and he said something along the lines of 'all the best musicians I've worked have also been great guys'. I was surprised at the time, I'd assumed they'd all be a$$holes.

Wasn't it also Johnson who called Chuck Berry "a c**t," then, when interviewed years later and asked "is it true you once called Chuck Berry a t**t?", clarified his stance said, "that's not true; I called him a c**t." Always tickled me, that did.

Perhaps I've too long since accepted that a lot of my favourite music was made by horrible people, and if they turn up to be nice people then that's a bonus. I think if they come across as nice or funny people then that gives me more time for them as a person, but not necessarily their output. I've certainly found more time for Noel Gallagher (certainly in comparison to his obnoxious brother) and James Blunt more recently, but it doesn't warm me any more to their music. Similarly JK Rowling: I think she can be very entertaining on Twitter, and I like what she stands for, but I still can't get on with Harry Potter.

On 23/01/2018 at 16:04, Bilbo said:

I completely agree. I think he's a comedy genius. I also love the fact that his slightly effeminate bearing is countered by the fact that he was in the Army as an officer and was instrumental in effectively prevented World War Three by refusing an order.

This from Wikipedia

'Having been sponsored through university on an army bursary, Blunt was committed to serve a minimum of four years in the armed forces. He trained at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, in intake 963,[10][15] and was commissioned into the Life Guards, a reconnaissance regiment. He rose to the rank of captain.[16]

The Life Guards, part of the Household Cavalry Regiment, were primarily based in Combermere Barracks. Blunt was trained in British Army Training Unit Suffield in Alberta, Canada, where his regiment was posted for six months in 1998 to act as the opposing army in combat training exercises.[17]

In 1999, Blunt volunteered to join a Blues and Royals squadron deploying with NATO to Kosovo.[18] Initially assigned to carry out reconnaissance of the Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia–Yugoslavia border, Blunt's troop worked ahead of the front lines locating and targeting Serb forces for the NATO bombing campaign. On 12 June 1999, the troop led the 30,000-strong NATO peacekeeping force from the Macedonia border towards Pristina International Airport. However, a Russian military contingent had moved in and taken control of the airport before his unit's arrival. American NATO commander Wesley Clark ordered that the unit forcibly take the airport from the Russians. General Mike Jackson, the British commander, refused the order, stating that they were "not going to start the Third World War".[19][20] Blunt has said that he would have refused to obey such an order.

During Blunt's Kosovo assignment he had brought along his guitar, strapped to the outside of his tank, and would sometimes perform for locals and troops. It was while on duty there that he wrote the song "No Bravery".[21]

Blunt extended his military service in November 2000,[22] and was posted to the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment in London, as the Queen's Guard.[6] During this posting, he was featured on the television programme "Girls on Top", a series highlighting unusual career choices.[23][24] He stood guard at the coffin of the Queen Mother during her lying in state and was part of the funeral procession on 9 April 2002.[25]

A keen skier, Blunt captained the Household Cavalry alpine ski team in Verbier, Switzerland, becoming Royal Armoured Corps giant slalom champion in 2000.[26] He left the army on 1 October 2002 having served six years.[27'

His responses to offensive Tweeting is legendary. https://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/james-blunt-twitter-comebacks?utm_term=.qg3bRrG5q#.pcNBbDXm2 

Those Twitter responses are brilliant 😂

On 1/26/2018 at 08:02, Steve Browning said:

Yes, their Rig Rundown is brilliant.

There are some great youtube clips.

Justin makes some amusing obvservations about youtubers near the end. I did have a great youtube vid of the band playing a mini concert on a US radio show promoting a tour. The radio presenter started by getting their names wrong and they went for him the whole way through. But I can't find it at the moment. Great sense of humour and something that's missing from many artists!