Why become a member? ×

Softening your opinion towards the nice blokes

Barking Spiders

This is the flip side to the discussion here on Gary Glitter. Have you ever disliked a band or artist's music but once you'd seen them in interview and  were quite impressed at what nice blokes they seemed to be, you  then started listening to their music with more charitable ears? I watched a recent show with Cat Deeley talking to U2. Now I've never been a fan of their music but they came across very well esp Adam Clayton and so while I might not buy a U2 album I can now listen to them on the radio.. Also I used to have deep seated dislike of 70s prog but after watching Prog Britannia a couple of years back I found myself warming to fellas like Carl Palmer, Ian Anderson , Rick Wakeman etc who were quite happy to laugh at what they used to be like. Nowadays I don't baulk if my partner ( a lady) puts on a bit of Jethro Tull, Genesis or Yes.  If someone's good humoured and don't take themselves too seriously then that's good enough for me.

Edited by Barking Spiders

James Blunt went up hugely in my opinion when I started reading his hilarious tweets but I still can’t dig his music. There are also several wholly unpleasant individuals that I’ve met in the music industry who I wouldn’t give the time of day to, however, this does not taint their music for me.

Agree with above: James Blunt is refreshingly aware of his appeal, completely self-deprecating, and perfectly willing to stand up to trolls. Yeah - his music is not my thing, but he's a good egg.

Metallica (more specifically Lars and James), have always been a testing pair, although to be fair, I kind of agree about their Napster stance. (Napster? it's so long ago I can't recall if that's what it was now...)

I  remember seeing Meat Loaf being interviewed and he was both charming and very funny. I never cared for his music. Since then I have seen a fair few people I don't care for being interviewed and they come across as decent sorts. And I also now follow James Blunt on Twitter for all the aforementioned reasons. It's only rock 'n' roll after all.

20 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Anyone got a good word for Van Morrison, cos I love his music but he seems a thoroughly unpleasant individual?

I've been dragged along twice to see him and a more sullen, obnoxious person it would be hard to meet. I therefore actively did not want to like his music and in doing now actually more than just dislike it. I suspect your mind can sub-consciously alter your perception of someone's work based on whether you like them or not. Viz  the proggers I felt bad about not liking their music and made more effort to appreciate it and in doing so ended up finding something to like about bits here and there. As for James Blunt he's a right good laff who has far more things of interest to say than most of the more 'cool' or acceptable names. Because he's a good bloke I don't mind his music even though it's not really my bag. Conversely, I used to be a fan of Echo ATB but  Ian McCulloch's  personality put me off to such an extent the band's music irks me

Edited by Barking Spiders

I never really thought that much of Status Quo, neither liked nor disliked, but when my mate told me how they put on a good day out for sick kids - his 15 year old niece had cancer, thankfully fought it and won - and mostly away from the cameras, my opinion of them went to the like/admire side. Apparently they spent the whole day with the kids, really treating them, and from what I`ve been told it wasn`t a grin & bear it, they wanted to be there and were glad to be.

8 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I never really thought that much of Status Quo, neither liked nor disliked, but when my mate told me how they put on a good day out for sick kids - his 15 year old niece had cancer, thankfully fought it and won - and mostly away from the cameras, my opinion of them went to the like/admire side. Apparently they spent the whole day with the kids, really treating them, and from what I`ve been told it wasn`t a grin & bear it, they wanted to be there and were glad to be.

like the Sex Pistols in Huddersfield on Boxing Day? Don't believe the hype, even Sid enjoyed it apparently

I've never really been a Def Leppard fan but listening to Joe Elliott on his Planet Rock radio show, he just seems to be a genuinely likeable, honest, down to earth bloke. For someone who has sold as many records and been around for as long as he has, he gives off the vibe of someone who'd quite happily have a pint and a chat with you if you were to bump into him in the street. Still not sure that I'll ever be the biggest DL fan though, but he doesn't seem to be your stereo-typical rock star. And for that I've got a ton of respect for the guy.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Osiris said:

I've never really been a Def Leppard fan but listening to Joe Elliott on his Planet Rock radio show, he just seems to be a genuinely likeable, honest, down to earth bloke. For someone who has sold as many records and been around for as long as he has, he gives off the vibe of someone who'd quite happily have a pint and a chat with you if you were to bump into him in the street. Still not sure that I'll ever be the biggest DL fan though, but he doesn't seem to be your stereo-typical rock star. And for that I've got a ton of respect for the guy.  

I think a lot of musicians mellow out once they grow up, they just settle into being reasonable chaps who mostly realise they have been extremely lucky to have had a successful career in music. Having said that there are plenty of exceptions and then there's John Lydon who remains as acerbic as ever and, frankly, long may it last.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

like the Sex Pistols in Huddersfield on Boxing Day? Don't believe the hype, even Sid enjoyed it apparently

Yeah, I watched the tv prog about that, looks like the whole band, but particularly John Lydon had a ball doing that. From the footage shown I`d say they enjoyed playing to the kids and having a cake-fight in the afternoon much more than playing to the adults in the evening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

James Blunt

I completely agree. I think he's a comedy genius. I also love the fact that his slightly effeminate bearing is countered by the fact that he was in the Army as an officer and was instrumental in effectively prevented World War Three by refusing an order.

This from Wikipedia

'Having been sponsored through university on an army bursary, Blunt was committed to serve a minimum of four years in the armed forces. He trained at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, in intake 963,[10][15] and was commissioned into the Life Guards, a reconnaissance regiment. He rose to the rank of captain.[16]

The Life Guards, part of the Household Cavalry Regiment, were primarily based in Combermere Barracks. Blunt was trained in British Army Training Unit Suffield in Alberta, Canada, where his regiment was posted for six months in 1998 to act as the opposing army in combat training exercises.[17]

In 1999, Blunt volunteered to join a Blues and Royals squadron deploying with NATO to Kosovo.[18] Initially assigned to carry out reconnaissance of the Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia–Yugoslavia border, Blunt's troop worked ahead of the front lines locating and targeting Serb forces for the NATO bombing campaign. On 12 June 1999, the troop led the 30,000-strong NATO peacekeeping force from the Macedonia border towards Pristina International Airport. However, a Russian military contingent had moved in and taken control of the airport before his unit's arrival. American NATO commander Wesley Clark ordered that the unit forcibly take the airport from the Russians. General Mike Jackson, the British commander, refused the order, stating that they were "not going to start the Third World War".[19][20] Blunt has said that he would have refused to obey such an order.

During Blunt's Kosovo assignment he had brought along his guitar, strapped to the outside of his tank, and would sometimes perform for locals and troops. It was while on duty there that he wrote the song "No Bravery".[21]

Blunt extended his military service in November 2000,[22] and was posted to the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment in London, as the Queen's Guard.[6] During this posting, he was featured on the television programme "Girls on Top", a series highlighting unusual career choices.[23][24] He stood guard at the coffin of the Queen Mother during her lying in state and was part of the funeral procession on 9 April 2002.[25]

A keen skier, Blunt captained the Household Cavalry alpine ski team in Verbier, Switzerland, becoming Royal Armoured Corps giant slalom champion in 2000.[26] He left the army on 1 October 2002 having served six years.[27'

His responses to offensive Tweeting is legendary. https://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/james-blunt-twitter-comebacks?utm_term=.qg3bRrG5q#.pcNBbDXm2 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Dave Grohl falls into this category, I think. I woudn't recognise a Foos song if it trod on my toes, but I'm a big fan of his.

Agreed, top fella although his FF stuff doesn't reach out to me. Maybe I need to try harder?

34 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I think a lot of musicians mellow out once they grow up, they just settle into being reasonable chaps who mostly realise they have been extremely lucky to have had a successful career in music. Having said that there are plenty of exceptions and then there's John Lydon who remains as acerbic as ever and, frankly, long may it last.

Agreed. I read a copy of his auto-biography, Anger is an Energy, last year on holiday and although I'm not totally convinced he'd have a pint and a chat with you like Joe Elliott potentially might, he's clearly an intelligent guy who is true to his convictions, and someone who doesn't take any crap from anyone. But I think he suffers from being widely misunderstood and may not get the respect he deserves - whether you agree with some of the things he says or not. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

the trouble I have with John Lydon I never know whether to he's being serious or just saying things to get a reaction, generally an entertaining watch though, the best I'm a Celebrity when he was in the jungle

I agree with all the James Blunt love on here! xD

Another chap that springs to mind is Dean Friedman. I was dragged by some friends to see him at the Edinburgh festival in 2011.  I'd never thought much about his songs, but he turned out to be an excellent musician and seemed to be a really nice guy.  I found myself enjoying his hits (in particular 'Lydia') and some of his new stuff,  a lot of which is very humourous. I even bought his CD, which he signed for me. (Not that I've played it much since, I have to admit!)

• Thanks 1