Why become a member? ×

Money Downy on a Chowny

Frank Blank

OK, the inevitable "Does anyone know how much the short scale CHB1 hollow body Chownys weigh? Before you all groan and roll eyes (and point out that I play Wals and Aria SBs so what the heck am I worrying about that for?) there is a specific reason why I ask. There's a 50/50 chance I might have to have some shoulder surgery sometime in the near future and I'm trying to think ahead to a light but nice bass that could be a good stopgap/transitional thing to noodle on while recuperating and maybe a less heavy bass for any early ventures back into the world of playing in public.

And, no, I don't fancy a Hofner violin bass or similar...

Ignore me... just put my brain in gear and did a quick search in the for basses sale forum...

... the weight is only 3.1kg (6.8lbs) making it extremely light and comfortable to play...

That certainly compares favourably to the Wal or the SB700!!!

Edited by TrevorR

3 hours ago, TrevorR said:

OK, the inevitable "Does anyone know how much the short scale CHB1 hollow body Chownys weigh? Before you all groan and roll eyes (and point out that I play Wals and Aria SBs so what the heck am I worrying about that for?) there is a specific reason why I ask. There's a 50/50 chance I might have to have some shoulder surgery sometime in the near future and I'm trying to think ahead to a light but nice bass that could be a good stopgap/transitional thing to noodle on while recuperating and maybe a less heavy bass for any early ventures back into the world of playing in public.

And, no, I don't fancy a Hofner violin bass or similar...

You can always ask the man himself @Chownybass

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, Cordwangle said:

I have the SWB-1 Pro but also own a Gibson SG EB3, short scale re-issue...the SG is really good to play (slaps easily too) & the quality is exceptional - would recommend trying it out..cheers, Paul 

Hi Paul. After trying out many short scales I finally discovered the basses built by our own @Jabba_the_gut which suit me perfectly.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 1

On 29/05/2018 at 12:38, Frank Blank said:

Well the SWB-Pro has arrived and after a few days of playing I have realised it just isn't the bass for me, this is a great shame as it is a beautiful thing. It will be up for sale on here by the end of the week.

What a shame. Always try before you buy. How a bass looks is always secondary to sound & playability...