Why become a member? ×

Big Muff - learning to use it at last

kendall

I've had one of these knocking about for while, tend to use it when I am getting all Cliff Burtonesque.   Other than that I've not really bothered with it.  Until last night, I sat down and mucked about with it with the tone at 0 and the sustain at a touch over 2.  With some judicious tweaking of the EQ on my bass, I got a really tasty Overdrive type tone that I've been trying to get for some time.  I'd never really thought of using the Big Muff for that kind of tone.

Something I've always been guilty of is having everything (EQ, Pedals etc) turned up pretty high and never really exploring the more subtle tones on offer.  Sometimes less is definitely more.

I had a similar problem when I first started using mine in a band setting. For the longest time I was frustrated with the tone going quite "woolly" when I turned it on. So I cranked the tone control higher and higher in the hope of getting more definition, and it didn't seem to make a difference.

So I went back to the instruction manual...and I *think* the tone control actually works more like an "enhance" or pre-shape control, i.e., turning it up creates more of a "smiley face" EQ and sucks all the mids out of your tone. By contrast, "my sound" is built on a strong mid-range - no wonder it seemed to disappear when I had the pedal's tone up at 8 or 9. Nowadays it hovers around 2 or 3!

• 4 weeks later...

I also were a bit tired of my nano muff, and thought of replacing it with a Bass soul food.  Can the Muff actually be used as a subtle “ crunch” like the soul food? Having my board in the rehearsal room, I can’t fiddle with it right now. Should I stop thinking of the Bass Soul Food, and learn to tweak my Muff instead?

Its worth a go, I am still using the 'magic' setting I mentioned in my first post.

Currently Big Muff setting: switch set to Dry. Vol at 13:00, Tone at 06:00 Sustain at 20:00.  

Amp on Crunch channel, Mids slightly scooped and Highs a touch higher than the bass.

• 2 weeks later...

I use one almost exclusively due to the music my two bands play. I found eventually that less is more. I used to use the Little Big Muff Pi and actually found it easier to get a good tone than with the Bass Big Muff I have now. I keep thinking about going back, but the ability to blend with the clean signal on the bass muff stops me. That is a great feature. I also am considering the Deluxe Bass Muff. There's one on here for £65 at the mo which is great value, just wrong timing cash flow wise.  

Boosting the mids is essential (for me), and the loss of the lower frequencies don't bother me. I usually boost these back via the amp. It should be said that I go for the 'bass as rhythm guitar' approach in one of my bands, which isn't every bass players cup of tea and sounds better for that band with boosted mids and treble.

I would say that a Big Muff is far more versatile than people think. If you get the tone right, throaty, full and powerful,  it really can wow people.