Why become a member? ×

How far can we go into cupidity and stupidity ?

Hellzero

If there wasn’t a queue of celebrity-obsessed saps with cash in their hands stretching as far as the eye can see, this kind of thing wouldn’t exist. I don’t find this nearly as offensive as Holo-gigs or whatever you want to call them, where the likeness of the artist is projected onto the tracked movements of an actor, meaning the artist can be seen to perform any movement or gesture even if it was something they never did while alive and, obviously, have no say in it. Now that is tasteless.

Edited by Doctor J

Oh, lovely sentiments Janie.  ( ugh )

I bet she's deeply moved by the percentage

"Jimi's guitar was an extension of himself … a part of who he was," said Janie Hendrix of Authentic Hendrix, which collaborated with Joi Guitars on the project. "What makes this Joi Hendrix Home Guitar so special and meaningful is that each limited edition guitar contains an actual piece of Jimi's legacy and family heritage, the place he called home. So, in a sense, it's a part of Jimi. And we are deeply moved by the entire concept."

• Haha 1

If you want to see how ridiculous the money is around Hendrix, check out these two auctions:

https://guitar-auctions.co.uk/portfolio-post/lot-363-jimi-hendrix-shavings-from-the-1967-zemaitis-twelve-string-acoustic-guitar

https://guitar-auctions.co.uk/portfolio-post/lot-447-jimi-hendrix-wood-shavings-from-the-1960s-zemaitis-12-string-acoustic-guitar-used-by-jimi-hendrix-in-1967

Remember to add buyers premium of 24% and VAT @ 20%.

Yes, folks.  People are stupid.

Edited by NancyJohnson

Fender Woodstock Stratocaster Special Edition

If you look carefully you can see that even the headstock logo is reversed and upside down so it will look right in the mirror.

Anybody care to guess how many lefties they made?

ETA: I agree with the OP about the Hendrix family, but in fairness it was them who put a stop to it (even if it was for selfish reasons).

Edited by leftybassman392
Added content

4 hours ago, leftybassman392 said:

Fender Woodstock Stratocaster Special Edition

If you look carefully you can see that even the headstock logo is reversed and upside down so it will look right in the mirror.

Anybody care to guess how many lefties they made?

ETA: I agree with the OP about the Hendrix family, but in fairness it was them who put a stop to it (even if it was for selfish reasons).

I knew someone with one of these, I never worked out the reversed logo, is it so you can look at yourself in a mirror and pretend to be Jimi? 

I heard an interview with the guitar builder on CBC(the Canadian version of BBC) a couple of weeks ago and he sounded sincere about this project but as I listened to him I couldn't help but feel a little creepy about the idea and was wondering who will buy these things.The Hendrix family situation never occurred to me,I was trying to picture what the guitar would look like.We in Canada have also seen guitars made from many bits of hockey sticks that were used by famous players so I guess we have a bit of a history of this sort of thing and it seems pretty weird to me but I imagine things like this are going on all over.Could cricket bats be turned into fine guitars?Hmmmmm....how about oars from the Oxford crew... 

Edited by Staggering on

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I knew someone with one of these, I never worked out the reversed logo, is it so you can look at yourself in a mirror and pretend to be Jimi? 

In a word, yes. No other purpose it could serve if you think about it. I did have plans to buy one when I found out about it, but they didn't do them as Lefties. Kind of fits the rest of the thread really. :/