Why become a member? ×

Hiwatt

stewblack

I used one a couple of times - it was given to me as a 'this is knackered, you can have it' kind of deal. I promptly fixed it and had it working but it wasn't the best as the amp was very rattly where it screwed to the enclosure. Some dampening by our old friend gaffa tape went a good way to curing it. It wasn't particularly loud either although it would just about stand with a drummer but I personally wouldn't have wanted to ever do a gig with it.

On a positive note, the graphic EQ helped massively with tone shaping and the compressor worked reasonably well at lower settings plus the speaker is a Celestion (a cheap one, granted) which seemed to stand strong at all levels.

I think £75 is almost the upper end of the market for one of these - for similar coin I'd take a Peavey TKO / TNT - but maybe your friend will get on with it and do everything he needs, hope he enjoys it. B|

4 hours ago, Japhet said:

As already stated, a lot of stuff badged as Hiwatt is made in China now. It's junk and bears no comparison whatsoever to the proper Hiwatt gear.

I have a little 10w Hiwatt hurricane practice combo. Even taking into account having realistic expectations of a tiny combo from a cheap starter pack I can concur that it is indeed completely poo! I generally just use it as a headphone amp as the speaker sounds like its going to completely disintegrate unless the bass control is all the way down.

Had a great time putting this little combo through its paces and it sounded fine. Lots of flexibility in the sound, huge volume, and he got a bargain considering the perfect condition and vinyl cover. Going to take one of my cabs over next time to see how it behaves with 2 15s . Not a bad little amp at all, if heavy.