Why become a member? ×

New amp required.

mfisher91

It's that time again when I'm debating whether to upgrade my amp or not and I need some advice :).

My current gear:

MarkBass Little Mark II Blackline

MarkBass 102P cab

Mayonnes Comodous 5

My sound: I cover a variety of sounds, all in the same gig - and I need/prefer to be able to do this without twiddling nobs. Folk/rock/blues/ska/punk mostly, primarily focusing on the first two.

The Little Mark II can do the above, but it sometimes sounds a bit cheap...presumably because it's the blackline model. I bought it on a whim after playing the Little Mark III, but it hasn't met my expectations as well as I'd hoped.

So, my question really is recommendations on an amp that would offer my what I'm after...I'm willing to look at combos too. The only stuff I've played and don't like are Ashdowns and Trace Elliot.

It might be that the best addition could be another of the 102P cabs - adding in the exact cab again really fills the sound out. Unless you really only want one cab that is. Other than that then getting an LMIII could be an option, seeing as that`s the amp that drew you to Markbass gear. Given it`s a higher range it`s likely there`s a bit more to the sound.

Re the "cheapness" I think I might know what you mean, the Markbass sound is very sterile sounding on its own, but in the mix it really works. Have you stood some 20 feet in front of your rig when the band is playing - that might be an opinion changer too.

Lozz is correct. Another identical cab will make a great difference: You will lift the drivers so you will hear yourself better. 

Your amp is a little low powered. 150W into 8 ohms. Add the second cab and you get the full 250 Watts. However more than that,  there is an effect that you get by stacking two cabs that gives you a free “boost” of between 3-6db* So you will get between 5 and 8dB boost, or more headroom. That is more than doubling your acoustic output. So an extra cabinet will have more effect than a new amp.

*Experts disagree about the exact boost you get. The boost is called Mutual Coupling. 

Edited by Chienmortbb

You might not have bonded with the LM2 but even this amp with a second cab will sound better than with one cab on its own.

Two cabs will have a "bigger" tone and sound louder than if you simply buy a more powerful amp.

Also a 5 string bass will sound better with more speakers handling those low notes.

Edited by chris_b

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

The boost you get from an extra cab does rely on the fact that the amp can drive them adequately. I'd try before buying in case it isn't up to it.

But isn't it the case that adding another cab will require less power, not more, to reach the same volume?

Frank.