Why become a member? ×

Jim Rodford RIP

theplumber

Just seen on John Verity's Facebook page that Jim Rodford (bass player with Argent, The Kinks and many others) has passed away aged 76.

Argent (with Jim playing bass) was the first band I ever saw as a kid, so another notable figure from my formative years has left us... 

• Sad 1

That's really sad news. Many years ago I was trying out a JayDee Roadie fretless bass through a brand new Trace Elliot rig at the Bass Centre when it was still in Wapping High Street in London. I was enjoying myself, making an unholy row doing all my favourite Pino and Percy Jones licks. After about 5 minutes, I happened to turn around, and Jim Rodford was standing there with his bass on, patiently waiting to try the Trace. He smiled, I apologised for keeping him waiting, but he said there was no rush! A complete gentleman, a great bass player, and a huge supporter of local music in his home town of St Albans. RIP.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lowregisterhead said:

That's really sad news. Many years ago I was trying out a JayDee Roadie fretless bass through a brand new Trace Elliot rig at the Bass Centre when it was still in Wapping High Street in London. I was enjoying myself, making an unholy row doing all my favourite Pino and Percy Jones licks. After about 5 minutes, I happened to turn around, and Jim Rodford was standing there with his bass on, patiently waiting to try the Trace. He smiled, I apologised for keeping him waiting, but he said there was no rush! A complete gentleman, a great bass player, and a huge supporter of local music in his home town of St Albans. RIP.

Yes, he played many of the local venues/pubs around St Albans, and the last time I saw him play was in The Bull in London Colney which is just outside St Albans, and if I remember correctly, he had his sons Pete and Steve on drums and guitar, great music on what was then my local doorstep.

Edited by thebrig
  • Like 1

This sad news brings back a special memory for me too.  I had the unexpected pleasure of chatting to JR when me and my son unwittingly ran into a Kinks video shoot early one sunny Sunday morning in the Cambridgeshire flat-lands where we lived .  (This was not long after I'd seen their live gig at the Corn Exchange in Cambridge, at which JR had played a blinder - as they all did.) The production crew wouldn't let us continue our journey along the country road they had 'commandeered' and invited us to have breakfast in the chuck wagon until they were done.  We'd just demolished our full English when this powder-blue open-top Cadillac rolls up with the band in it.  As soon as they piled out, Davies jr. was whisked away by the sycophantic production team leaving the others just hanging around looking lost.  So I grabbed my chance and had a good chat with JR.  Such a nice guy, sadly missed.

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 2