Why become a member? ×

Blind test: MusicMan StingRay 2004 vs Cort GB75JH

Alberto Rigoni

I don't know enough the Sr 5 and don't know at all the Cort but i would say 1 Cort and 2 Stingray because i have the feeling that something is a bit more Musicmanish in the second clip.

Edit: i really don't know.

The pickups seems not to be in the same position so the sound of the Cort should be more focus/precise, less rond. that's why i have a doubt. I find the second clip a little bit more growly/agressive in the lower register.

Edited by gargouill

42 minutes ago, Alberto Rigoni said:

Hello there! 
Just for fun I did this blind test 
Which take is MM? And which Cort?
Both played with bridge humbucker pickup, no eq, D'Addario EXL170 strings.

Answer will come in the next days :P

Ciao!!

Al

Hi Al,

You mention that both basses have no EQ - do you mean it's turned off or at centre? Also with the SR5 which switch setting is in use, parallel, series or single coil? 

They sound fairly close as is but the second has a more Stingrayish fret brightness on the hammered  notes especially - however as the EQ is off, the electronics would be out of the picture so the differences are pick up and construction. I'd say you have the SR5 possibly in parallel - it would be slightly fatter in series. 

Now if you turned the EQ on......

Edited by drTStingray

I can't even decide which one I prefer.  The first one has a cool scooped tone.  The second one has more of the 'polite passive bass straight into the desk' sound, but I prefer the mellower highs.

I'm guessing the first is the stingray.

On reflection, I think I prefer the first in the mix with the track, but in general I love them both.

Edited by linear

12 hours ago, Alberto Rigoni said:

Hello there! 
Just for fun I did this blind test 
Which take is MM? And which Cort?
Both played with bridge humbucker pickup, no eq, D'Addario EXL170 strings.

Answer will come in the next days :P

Ciao!!

Al

I saw this earlier on "the other site".

I found it very interesting... because to me both sounded both very Stingray-like. I would vote for #1 being the Stingray but #2 could easily be as well, for all I know. In fact, I'd vote it's a trick question and both are the Stingray using different settings. ;)

Question: if the Cort is in passive mode, what is the humbucker switch selected to? (series? single coil? which?...)

I find it interesting because I used to own a GB74 (the 4 string version)... and it didn't sound anything like a Stingray to me. It sounded a bit like a Jazz, but a very fat dense one, the Arnold of Jazz basses... but it lacked the low mid growl a Stingray has. I also had a Lakland 5502, which is similar to the GB75 in layout... and again it didn't sound like a Stingray to me. However, you could select the neck-facing coil of the humbucker on its own, and tweaking mids a bit, it did have a bit of a Stingray vibe to it. My GB74's humbucker switch only allowed  series, parallel, or one single coil: the bridge-facing one. Neither was Stingray-like at all.

Very curious to find the answer.