Why become a member? ×

Gigging without full mobility

Paul S

The 'gigging without a car' thread made me think about the way bands share the tasks that make them bands.  Specifically with reference to physical health and mobility - and mine has taken a downward turn in the past few weeks.  How much should we rely on our band mates to help?  Or, perhaps, how much should we expect our band mates to tolerate a lack of help?

My own situation - I have had a weak sacro-iliac joint for years - now own lightweight gear which I can move around with no problem.  But, unless my back was specifically playing up I would also help with the load in/out, set up/breakdown of pa, drums because I think it is the right thing to do.  However, in recent weeks I have managed to get myself an inguinal hernia and, more recently still, now have an L4-5 slipped disc and a L3-4 bulge.  It is all new to me so at the moment I am very wary of shifting anything much at all - my own kit for sure but the lightest stuff I have.  I certainly won't be helping anyone else with any lifting and will be relying on my band mates' goodwill in this respect.  At least, until I have had an opportunity to discuss the ramifications of it all and get in some physio/exercises.  Hopefully this is only a short term issue and I will be back to helping out in a few months.

But it makes me wonder -  how do the fitter people out there regard this situation - having a band member who can't pull his own weight when it comes to shifting the shared stuff?  Tolerated happily/begrudgingly?  Would it fester and become a problem, does anyone think?

Goodwill and a sunny disposition go a long way, in my experience. If getting old counts as a disability, I'm now chronically reliant on others for even the most menial of tasks. Luckily, we're a family band (I drum, our eldest on guitar 1, our youngest on bass...), with a couple of long-standing family friends for guitar 2 and singing/front man. It's true we don't gig much of late (mostly due to my incapacity, but not only...). When we do 'go out', I set up my drums, which consists of me sitting on my drum throne unpacking my cymbals whilst the singer and or youngest empty the cases of their drums and set 'em up in front of me. I'm not averse to coiling up a cable or two when tearing down, but only after a reasonable hiatus as I recover enough energy to get up off the floor where I've been lying, flat on my back, trying hard to breath again. Handicapped..? Not 'alf..! xD

Nevertheless, and despite all this kerfuffle, we're still performing sporadically, and there's a fine spirit of camaraderie which enables us all to pull together, laugh at the tough moments and enjoy even more the highs. It certainly wouldn't be supported (nor supportable...) in any other type of formation, and is not really to be countenanced for regular gigging, even on a one-a-month basis. I'd need ambulance support and a pair of nurses bearing oxygen to be able to tour..!  :$

In my days with the function band I used to do all my own gear, plus the (fairly substantial) P.A., plus helping the drummer to cart his gear in & out. Over a period of months I became increasingly pee'd off with the rest of the band (drummer excepted of course) basically doing bugger all beyond hauling their own gear, and one day I announced at the start of the evening that since I was doing most of the heavy hauling and setup I would take a bigger slice of the gig fee. As if by magic I suddenly had a small posse of assistants, and from then on my job was a lot easier.

On the downside, the attrition from all the years of carting this stuff around (I still had to get it all in & out of the car at home) was a contributing factor to the back problems that ended my playing career. These days I can barely lift my guitar amp (around 20Kg) off the ground without reaping the consequences for several days afterwards.

Ho hum...

Edited by leftybassman392

I'd personally have no problem doing the extra for a band mate who's unable for whatever reason.  In fact I'd happily look for disabled musicians to work with.  The only thing stopping me is how to get away with placing my advert on JMB without offending someone.

It is a very interesting topic to introduce.  I mean, for the paying public measures are taken to make venues accessible to those who don't get about as well as they'd like.  From my limited experience this doesn't happen for those backstage, certainly in smaller venues.

My big drawback is that I gave up driving so I'm off to look at that thread mentioned in your OP again.

I don't see it makes a difference. If someone doesn't help packing up because they are unable to, that is perfectly reasonable, and nothing like someone not helping because they can't be bothered. I had a knee op, my band were fine carting me around for a while when I had that and carrying my speakers, these things are of benefit to all of us.

When playing with others I don't care what their physical abilities are if they can do the music that we want to do, or even if it is just fun playing with them.

Various health problems have meant that I haven't got involved with lifting heavy kit during the load in and break down, over the last few years. Given that I've spent a fair bit of money getting good quality lightweight kit for myself, it would be a bit daft to then go lifting everyone else's heavy gear.

So I sort my own stuff and then concentrate on wrapping cables and lighter duties. 

In my view a band is similar to a team and should help each other.

If a band member had a good (physical, financial or whatever else) reason for not carrying heavy equipment, driving or other activities, I'd be absolutely fine with helping them out.

However I wouldn't be ok with doing more than my fair share without good reason. 

• Like 1

I'm a busy gigger, but recently have been increasingly reliant on band members goodwill. 

I have a herniated disc which places pressure on the nerves running down my left leg, leaving me with a limp at best and relying on a stick at worst. I'm currently awaiting an assessment regarding surgery  

I also supply all the pa and lighting for my main band. 

I am incredibly blessed in that I have friends ( non music mates😉) that will help me to load if necessary, and build/ breakdown at the show. 

In my bands it's always a team effort no matter what goes on. I am incredibly grateful and humbled that people are so happy to help. 

Edited by dudewheresmybass

I have the exact same sacroiliac problem (my 2 joints meshed together).

I also a few months later then prolapsed ine of my discs.

The pain was/is really bad. Driving hurts. Walking hurts, standing still hurts and lying down hurts.

Lifting with those injuries was very odd - i can move heavy objects, but then randomly lifting a light object would send my back into spasm and a world of pain.

Its at times like these you find out what your band mates are made of. Some will muck in and some will leave you to sort yourself.

Good luck with the injury - it took me a full year of not being able to move properly before it finally started to release the pressure and gain strength. Ive had 3 good weeks now (a good wèek is probably the equivalent to a bad back) but i can tell something has happened and its on the mend finally (hopefully).

Until it happens to you you dont release how restricting back issues can be.

To me, if your band mucks in and helps you through it, youve got a good bunch. If they dont, then forget them.

Have similar problems and all the rest of the lads now help me out. They didn't before. Setting up and lugging  the PA to gigs and taking it home and upstairs was always left to me. 

The great irony is that I sold then PA and replaced it with a pair of Barefaced FR800's and a Behringer X18 desk. All the mics and cabling go in a 4U rack SKB case. Went onto in ears and sold all the monitors bar one which the drummer keeps, stands and lighting are all lightweight with a small packed footprint (as you know Paul!). I've been using a 1x10 combo for a long while now too. Back to the irony, now there's only around 10 items to move and it's all lightweight, I get a hand with the carriage and setup!

i still help the other lads though, as you say, it's the right thing to do. After the last rehearsal, the singer and I went to the pub. He carried my bass for me! I've never been as well off!

I think if (given your position), anybody had anything to say, I'd tell them to sod off.  Sounds like you've done your fair share. Not many singers can say the same! 😂

If something happened to one of the guys in our band the other two would cover it. Might be a bit of a pain but the band is more important and I`d doubt it would be deliberate so do what`s necessary.

I do remember however in an old band the decision being made to take on a guitarist who had neither guitar amp, guitar speaker cab, or means of transport. Guess who ended up providing all of that, muggins-me. Never again.

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

If something happened to one of the guys in our band the other two would cover it. Might be a bit of a pain but the band is more important and I`d doubt it would be deliberate so do what`s necessary.

I do remember however in an old band the decision being made to take on a guitarist who had neither guitar amp, guitar speaker cab, or means of transport. Guess who ended up providing all of that, muggins-me. Never again.

Not being picky or anything but did he have a plectrum?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Not being picky or anything but did he have a plectrum?

I think he might have, but he didn`t have leads or anything else, even his guitar turned out to not fit the sound of the band so I provided that as well after a while.

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

I think he might have, but he didn`t have leads or anything else, even his guitar turned out to not fit the sound of the band so I provided that as well after a while.

Oh wow.  I take it he had some talent else why would the band have picked him?

56 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Oh wow.  I take it he had some talent else why would the band have picked him?

Well when he was sober enough to remember where the solos were - after the 2nd chorus in every song, so you wouldn`t think it would be that challenging - which wasn`t often, he could really play, probably one of the best soloists on guitar I`ve heard, really individual style.

Update to my first post, have just remembered that at the end of 2016 our singer/guitarist had a heart op, so wasn`t allowed to carry anything significantly heavier than a bag of shopping for a couple of months, so we covered this for a couple of months for him.

Seems most people's attitude is supportive and flexible, which is nice to hear.  My two bands are the same, which is gratifying.

I remember in  previous band I lived just 3 miles from one of the guitar players so we decided to lift share for most of the gigs.  However, the first time we used his car it became clear he was such an appalling driver that I made sure I always managed to drive afterwards!  

If you were in my band we'd be doing our best to make things as easy as possible for you and make sure you weren't overstretching yourself. Health and family comes first every time.

My band tolerate my lack of availability and so on due to having a baby. Most the others have kids so they know it's not fair on the other half to Galavant off with the band and leave her to deal with everything. I feel bad about it but at the same time it's a way of making everything work. If the band were going to be nobs about it I'd have to leave.

10 hours ago, Les said:

Carried this broken footed freeloading shirker for 6 weeks.

He never missed a gig, bless him. But we banned him from sparring again at his kick boxing /kung foo / ninja turtle / far too old for this sh*t gym.

broken foot.jpg

Great photograph mate.  I hope it's on your band's promo site.