Why become a member? ×

Amazing (not) Fender

AndyTravis

21 minutes ago, prowla said:

Squier being sold as "Fender"...

It happens all the time, and I don't think there's a solution to it because its simply too common an issue for eBay to individually look at each advert and understand the subtlety of how it, basically, messes up a search for "Fender" stuff, and thus delete the ads. AND it relies on others reporting the adverts as such. Obviously if you were a genuine buyer and not a complete idiot you'd know, and notice, the difference if you really wanted a Fender. When I was looking for one, I had to wade through many Squiers which were misdescribed. 

1 hour ago, paul_c2 said:

It happens all the time, and I don't think there's a solution to it because its simply too common an issue for eBay to individually look at each advert and understand the subtlety of how it, basically, messes up a search for "Fender" stuff, and thus delete the ads. AND it relies on others reporting the adverts as such. Obviously if you were a genuine buyer and not a complete idiot you'd know, and notice, the difference if you really wanted a Fender. When I was looking for one, I had to wade through many Squiers which were misdescribed. 

Yep - I get it all the time; my searches are "fender -(squire,squier)" and I still have to sort out dross.

The problem now is that I don't trust things straight off anymore.

Its not a Fender........well not 100% or even 95% Fender, with a Squier neck (and logo) on it. TBH, there's so many complete, unmolested Fenders out there that a modified one, IMHO, is always devalued unless the mods are very sympathetic, worthwhile or subtle (such as a scratchplate change, but not a pickup change, and definitely not one where they've used the first screws they had lying around, and even then only fitting half of them). So a neck change, for me, stops it from claiming to be a "Fender". YMMV

3 hours ago, spectoremg said:

The body's a Precision Lyte - pretty sure Squier never built those. The body looks stripped too. It would have major neck dive too cos they were extremely lightweight basses.

Squier neck means that selling it as a "fender bass guitar" is upbranding.

• Like 1