Why become a member? ×

light weight PA

Kevin Dean

Regardless of budget I'm trying to see if I can better the rig I have for pub/ club gigs  weight is the most important bit .I currently use a Peavey XR1212 powered mixer , (18lbs) , EV powered 12"subs (45lbs)each & EV ZX1 tops (20lbs)each ..I'm just wondering if this can be bettered ? 

You have a weight budget of 148 lbs to come under, so I think the answer has to be a resounding yes!

To get the ball rolling on something optimal, Kevin:

What power output from the speakers do you need? 

What instruments / vocals are you putting through the PA?

How many mixer inputs do you need?

The answer is a definite yes.

You can ditch the subs completely if you get a pair of RCF 735 or 745s. They have 15 inch woofers and high frequency drivers with BIG voice coils (3inch or 4 inch, respectively) meaning the crossover point with the woofer can be really low allowing it to almost behave like a sub in itself. Then go get yourself a good unpowered digital mixer as the RCFs are already powered, saving a load more weight again. Job done - your PA load in time is cut in half and you sacrifice nothing in terms of sound.

Edited by CameronJ
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

The answer is a definite yes.

You can ditch the subs completely if you get a pair of RCF 735 or 745s. They have 15 inch woofers and high frequency drivers with BIG voice coils (3inch or 4 inch, respectively) meaning the crossover point with the woofer can be really low allowing it to almost behave like a sub in itself. Then go get yourself a good unpowered digital mixer as the RCFs are already powered, saving a load more weight again. Job done - your PA load in time is cut in half and you sacrifice nothing in terms of sound.

+ 1 to that.

Also check out this thread, if you haven't done already. Some great suggestions:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/315455-interesting-frfr-story/

Ditched our heavy PA for 2 Barefaced FR800's and a Behringer X18. Great lightweight setup. Would have liked to try the RCF mentioned above too though. The BF's were lighter so opted for them without a trial. They are good but can't get the guitarist to turn down so the rig is always in a competition with him...

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

You have a weight budget of 148 lbs to come under, so I think the answer has to be a resounding yes!

To get the ball rolling on something optimal, Kevin:

What power output from the speakers do you need? 

What instruments / vocals are you putting through the PA?

How many mixer inputs do you need?

It's the weight of the individual Items , I don't want to be putting powered speakers up on stands on my own , My current rig is 1200 watts  for tops  max  & 1400watts for the subs .& a max of 10 inputs only used on large gigs .

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

+ 1 to that.

Also check out this thread, if you haven't done already. Some great suggestions:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/315455-interesting-frfr-story/

Thanks for the suggestion ..but my current tops only weigh 20lbs    The RCFs are over 45 lbs  & not so easy to get on stands on my own with my back .

Just now, Kevin Dean said:

Thanks for the suggestion ..but my current tops only weigh 20lbs    The RCFs are over 45 lbs  & not so easy to get on stands on my own with my back .

That's fair enough. You don't need to be thinking about such large RCFs if you're not putting your bass through - for me that's the key limiting factor on reducing size and weight.

We manage just fine with two RCF 310As (400W a piece and plenty for most pub / club gigs - anything bigger typically has an in-house sound system) and then add an Allen & Heath mixer (or similar). This covers vocals plus acoustic guitar & sax and mic-ing up the bass drum. Me and the lead guitarist take our own amps. Job done.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

Ditched our heavy PA for 2 Barefaced FR800's and a Behringer X18. Great lightweight setup. Would have liked to try the RCF mentioned above too though. The BF's were lighter so opted for them without a trial. They are good but can't get the guitarist to turn down so the rig is always in a competition with him...

What I really like about my rig is that I can If needed mic everything up & get that stadium sound with thumping bass drum etc  but on a club level ...Do you think these 1 x15"  barefaced could really do all that ?

We tried them in a decent sized pub. Drum soundcheck, got the chest thumping. As soon as the loud guitarist started the thump couldn't be heard. He is at least twice as loud as needed. Limiting the sound onstage is a must but unfortunately the guitarist can't see it. The cabs are loud and may well do the job. The situation is a bit vexing to say the least at the moment..

If I had the choice I'd buy a sub.but I really don't think we need it, we need to sabotage the guitarists amp! You are welcome to try mine out. Don't know what the logistics would be like though. ..

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2018 at 11:50, EBS_freak said:

What guitar amp is he using? If you haven't got the stage size and venue size, I'm pretty sure he's got the wrong gear for the gig... or at least being a knob with the volume control.

Just saw this reply! He uses different rigs (not all on the same night but sometimes links two together), Marshall, Orange, Fender heads, cabs and combos. Great sound but blummun loud! Cabs aimed at his calves and he is about 6' 2. Did a PA for his other band and had the same problem. Ended up that the PA was so loud folk were at the point of leaving leaving (including myself). Funnily enough, recently he has turned down. Went to see his band at the same venue with another bloke doing the PA using subs. Volume wise everything was fine. He also had put his setup as far back in the room as possible. I must say that the rig used that night sounded very tame, mellow and wooly in comparison the the Fr800's. All the live sound seemed to have been removed. I'm not very keen on subs for that very reason. I know the guy who did the PA and he is very laid back and it showed with the sound he produced. Fair play to him for getting the onstage sound level down on the night. Many have tried and failed!

Hopefully, next time we gig together the problem may be solved!

1 minute ago, stevie said:

I'd say that's a fairly lightweight system already. It also seems quite good from a  power-to-weight ratio, with subs on the floor.

I'd agree, was going to post earlier that I wasn't sure where else you'd save weight, it's pretty slimline as it is already... - I'm not a massive fan of 12inch subs - but I guess if you are running some decent compressors/limiters, they'll do a job.

There's probably a bit to be saved by choosing cabs with neo drivers in them. I notice the ZX1 is ceramic and I guess the subs are too. So you could probably save seven or eight kg per side for similar performance. I'll leave it to the others to recommend the brand names.

2 x Barefaced FR800s (15kg each),1 x Barefaced LF1400 (24kg), 1 x Behringer XR18. Job done for pubs and clubs. Total weight 57kg (126 lbs). 

Probably prefer the RCF art 745s to the BF FR800s but it's extremely close. The FR800s will do kick drum very well.

That's all well and good but unless you sort your guitarist out then you're wasting your time. No matter what pa you have, it'll be unbearably loud for your customers if he doesn't grow up and stop being a plum.

• Like 1