Why become a member? ×

Where do you store your bass gear?

ianrendall

Just a quick question, I noticed a lot of the folks on here have their basses out in the pictures, are these permanently left out or were they specifically out just for the photos ?

It would mean a lot of dusting if they were permanently out.

My bass at home is usually stored away in its case although I do have stands.

In terms of caring for the instrument, is it beneficial to leave it in or out of the case when stored indoors at home?

Edited by steantval

6 minutes ago, discreet said:

Yes, but isn't it the British weather that continually attacks our precious basses and makes them age quickly, therefore becoming more desirable..? :D

Aren't there guys you can pay to go at them with screwdrivers and acid when you want to sell them? o.O

Edited by leftybassman392

8 minutes ago, discreet said:

I'm sensing you're not a big fan of the 'relic' look. :D

Not really, no.

(Natural patinas are good though - I mean if it has actually been played for 40 years by an old pro with a glandular problem then that's fine.)

Why? Does it show? :scratch_one-s_head:

Edited by leftybassman392

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

I only have 3 hard cases and one gig bag that i occasionally use for "safe" rehearsals and by that i mean everyone there is sensible and look after their own gear very well.

I tend to store the cases behind open doors to spare rooms. We don't close bedroom doors so you can manage to hide 2 cases behind the doors when opened. I like my basses on the wall but it did take a bit of work to get the wood strut properly secured for the weight of basses. I keep the vertical blind tilted half closed to prevent anyone seeing the basses from outside and stops direct sunlight getting in. 

Its quite nice when you are playing along to a song and you think "that would sound nice on a fretless" and can change over far easier than if basses were all kept in their cases.

Dave

...And when you share a house it's hardly self-indulgent at all.  Heeheehee.

I really have to watch myself.  It would not take much more for Channel 4 to become interested in me for one of their Hoarder Yukumentaries.  I take your point however, it is nice to have everything to hand.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steantval said:

Just a quick question, I noticed a lot of the folks on here have their basses out in the pictures, are these permanently left out or were they specifically out just for the photos ?

It would mean a lot of dusting if they were permanently out.

My bass at home is usually stored away in its case although I do have stands.

In terms of caring for the instrument, is it beneficial to leave it in or out of the case when stored indoors at home?

Was wondering the same looking at all the pics. I leave my guitar/bass in their cases which can be annoying as if they were out I'm sure I'd pick up and play more often.