Why become a member? ×

Where do you store your bass gear?

ianrendall

I have half a small room downstairs. 

The other half is owned by the misses and consists of floor to ceiling shelving dedicated to her projects "Photography, Painting, Sewing, Singing etc etc."  I have the wall on the other side of the room;  guitar hooks mounted on the wall above my computer desk with Audio Interface, studio monitors etc., cabs stacked on top of each other to the side, pedal board under the desk and spare pedals stored on a small shelf.    Gig bags under the bed.

Some times I feel she got the better half of the deal :angry2:

Edited by PJ-Bassist

Living alone in a very small one-bedroom flat, I keep my gear exactly where I want it, which is more or less everywhere. Most of it fills one large corner, with my favourite bass in comfortable arm's reach from my work chair. A couple of basses have escaped to the other side of the room and guitar cases to the foot of the bed. Oh and also two basses at work and one with my son in Nashville.

IMG_0503.jpg

• Like 2

Mainly in the box room - otherwise known as my man cave.

Most bases are on the wall plus I always have one on a stand in the living room for quick access!

Amps and cabs are (very neatly of course) also stacked up in the box room.  Several other guitars are stored under beds and mic and light stands etc are in the garage. At one time I did keep some older cabs in the garage, but horror stories of damp and small furry creatures burrowing in them put me off 😳

Another one lurking in the spare room & the cupboard in the spare room.

Used to have them on the wall of our old house, can't do that now, because of shelves & other stuff. Having them out on show certainly made me pick them up more.

7 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Having them out on show certainly made me pick them up more.

Just back from a blues tuition weekend where we were talking about exactly that. If your favourite bass / guitar is in a "music room" or in a case, you have to make an effort decision to go there / take it out and play. If it's in reach of your favourite chair you just reach out for it. That's one reason I have one at work as well. Any time I have even a five minute break I can just noodle a scale or a riff. It adds up fast.

Varies really, I keep my MarkBass combo and some bits in the house at all times for easy access. I don't even use that for practise though, as I use studio monitors and an audio interface. Basses, the ones in regular service never get a chance to come out of their cases at home, the lesser used ones are all wall hung, and I've got two up for sale which are in their respective hard cases hidden away. Tour rig wise, sometimes it's in the house, but generally speaking it lives in a lockup with the rest of my gear (PA mostly), as well, ground floor access, 24 hour access and security and I just put it all on a trolley and wheel it in. Quick and easy! 

9 hours ago, Skybone said:

Another one lurking in the spare room & the cupboard in the spare room.

Used to have them on the wall of our old house, can't do that now, because of shelves & other stuff. Having them out on show certainly made me pick them up more.

I daren't put wall hangers up in the main part of the house because it is two hundred years old and I am wary of loading the old plaster and brickwork with much more than a picture frame's weight.

It would not make sense to have basses on the wall when their cases take up space anyway.  All but the one I have out for the day are stored in their cases and those are neatly strewn hither and thither in the front music room.  Some of Jack's uke's are on table stands because he has made more of them than he could afford cases for.  I consider them as ornamental and they aren't in the way as much as my stuff is.

53 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I tend to store the cases in the garage (attached to the house), everything else is in the house somewhere or another.

Bet the gates to stop non-bassists into the bass cave. xD

Come on admit it.........you don't even have kids do you :D

Dave

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I daren't put wall hangers up in the main part of the house because it is two hundred years old and I am wary of loading the old plaster and brickwork with much more than a picture frame's weight.

It would not make sense to have basses on the wall when their cases take up space anyway.  All but the one I have out for the day are stored in their cases and those are neatly strewn hither and thither in the front music room.  Some of Jack's uke's are on table stands because he has made more of them than he could afford cases for.  I consider them as ornamental and they aren't in the way as much as my stuff is.

I only have 3 hard cases and one gig bag that i occasionally use for "safe" rehearsals and by that i mean everyone there is sensible and look after their own gear very well.

I tend to store the cases behind open doors to spare rooms. We don't close bedroom doors so you can manage to hide 2 cases behind the doors when opened. I like my basses on the wall but it did take a bit of work to get the wood strut properly secured for the weight of basses. I keep the vertical blind tilted half closed to prevent anyone seeing the basses from outside and stops direct sunlight getting in. 

Its quite nice when you are playing along to a song and you think "that would sound nice on a fretless" and can change over far easier than if basses were all kept in their cases.

Dave

Most of my kit is in the study/man cave/box room (all the same room unfortunately)

i've got hard cases for almost everything (about 15 instruments in total) and i've modified some Ikea shelving to hold it all, there's a wall hanger which usually has something on it, and a regular stand next to the desk with a bass setup and ready to go into my headphone practice setup.

the cabs (2 x Barefaced Midgets) are on the bottom shelf of the unit with my pedalboard/amp case alongside.

there is a single acoustic guitar on a hanger in the living room and a couple of guitar amps and the power amps for the PA are stashed in the cupboard on the landing.

the room is actually pretty small, if it wasn't such a mess i'd take a picture to show how much stuff can be squeezed in but i think i'd get in trouble at the moment due to the state of the room.